cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JScheerlinck
Level 3

Missing COM & .NET settings tab

Hi guys,

I've done some searching allready, but I didn't find any solution for my problem. I need to register a .NET dll file with the regasm.exe tool. I know there is a built-in functionality allready in place in InstallShield to do it for me. I just can't find it.

I'm building a small Basic MSI installer for work. When I go to the view of components, add my static DLL file to my feature. When I rightclick on the file I can choose properties.

I've seen on these forums that there should be a TAB page with the name COM & .NET settings tab. Well, in my installshield 12 and 2010 IDE it's missing? I can't check the COM Interop field...

Does anybody know how this is caused?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Marwan
Level 7

That tab is in File Properties dialog of the Files & Folders view
0 Kudos
JScheerlinck
Level 3

Well yeah, i know, there it should be, but I can't see it...

I attached a picture of the properties dialog

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/9938/picturefq.jpg
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

JScheerlinck,

I think that the references that you saw are for the Express edition of InstallShield. In the Premier and Professional editions, COM information is configured at the component level, not the file level. So, in the Components view or the Setup Design view, click the component that contains your DLL file. Make sure it's the key file of the component. Then configure the COM info as necessary. Here's a help topic with some background:
Extracting COM Information from a COM Server

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
JScheerlinck
Level 3

Ty so much!
0 Kudos
JScheerlinck
Level 3

This is soooo frustrating 🙂 I finally thought everything went good, because I set the COm interop option to 'yes'. Well it will register my .DLL in the CLSID correctly, but ...

after a while I noticed that InstallShield does not recognize the [ComRegisterFunction] attributes inside the .DLL to register them also.

Any solution? ... a custom action is so dirty
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Because InstallShield uses regasm.exe /regfile, InstallShield does not have support for user-defined register functions. (For info about this limitation, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tzat5yw6(VS.71).aspx.) We have an enhancement request (IOC-000066149) logged in our system to try to add support for this functionality in a future release.

As a workaround, maybe you could manually add the required registry entries to your project.
0 Kudos
JScheerlinck
Level 3

I'll try that mate, thnx, i'll post the results later on.

Happy weekend.
0 Kudos