cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Poltron
Level 4

Add "Explore Directory" shortcut to start menu.

Did not see this in the forum so I thought I'd pose the question to the community:

I have a requirement to create a start menu shortcut titled "Explore Directory" or something similiar that when clicked would open an explorer window view of a folder's contents.

I was able to create a shortcut to do this manually on my development box by using the following target for a the shortcut:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /select,"%ProgramFiles%\Seagull\BarTender Suite\SDK\Assemblies"

However, creating a shortcut in the shortcuts menu in IS seemed a bit limiting to allow for this.

Anyone had success with this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Gvarma
Level 7

What you could do is create a .lnk file manually (create it using Windows) then use your installer to simply deploy it on destination desktop. You dont have to use IS to create shortcut.

Remember every shortcut on desktop is a .lnk file which cantains the exe to run and parameters etc.

HTH
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Another option (assuming an MSI project) is to create a non-advertised shortcut with Target [WindowsFolder]explorer.exe and Arguments /select,"[ProgramFilesFolder]Seagull\BarTender Suite\SDK\Assemblies".

(If there's any chance the user can change the installation directory, you might use [INSTALLDIR] or the like instead of [ProgramFilesFolder]etc.)
0 Kudos
Poltron
Level 4

RobertDickau wrote:
Another option (assuming an MSI project) is to create a non-advertised shortcut with Target [WindowsFolder]explorer.exe and Arguments /select,"[ProgramFilesFolder]Seagull\BarTender Suite\SDK\Assemblies".

(If there's any chance the user can change the installation directory, you might use [INSTALLDIR] or the like instead of [ProgramFilesFolder]etc.)

Thank you, this worked. Oddly though, I had to add it as an 'advertised shortcut' instead of just the 'add shortcut' menu item. 'add shortcut' pops up a dialog box and I have to locate a file, and [windowFolder] is not a valid selection and it does not let you continue. So I first chose 'add advertised shortcut' and then changed the advertised property to no. THEN I was able to use the settings you shared above.

Thanks!
0 Kudos