cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BNonnemann
Level 3

MS report / Crystal Report can't download

Using the demo version of InstallShield 2020 Express, downloaded last month.   I am looking to create a very simple installation, zero bells and whistles, for a  Visual Studio 2019 Winform app using InstallShield as a project within Visual Studio.  Only slightly unusual item is that the app requires both Microsoft Report Viewer and Crystal Reports for viewing a bunch of legacy reports.   And this is where things go wrong:

In the 'Redistributables' section, selecting the Microsoft report viewer or Crystal Reports, I immediately get 'The download failed; make sure you are running as Administrator, and that your machine is connected to the internet.  Would you like to try again?'

I have tried running as a regular user, as a regular user but with 'run as administrator',  logged in as a system admin, and logged in as a system admin with 'run as administrator' -- identical failure message in all cases.

Second issue is that the only Crystal reports option is CR 2008 -- 12 years old?!?

Thanks for you help!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Installshield will be looking for the Crystal Report MSI in the following location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x64.msi

We are unable to actually distribute this file along with Installshield, and therefore it is not possible to download it via the Installshield IDE.

You will need to obtain the CRRedist2008_x64.msi for yourself and make sure that it is in the directory above which the prerequisite is looking in.

0 Kudos

Thanks for pointing the way!

I have located a copy of the Crystal Reports MSI, and placed it in the folder you requested.

I also selected the Microsoft Report Viewer 2012 in the redistributables and also get a similar error message upon download.   Which file do I need and where do I land this one?

Thanks!

Bob

0 Kudos
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Try downloading Report viewer from this link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/B/7/FB728406-A1EE-4AB5-9C56-74EB8BDDF2FF/ReportViewer.msi

Then place it in the following directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2020\SetupPrerequisites\ReportViewer2012\ReportViewer.msi

0 Kudos

Looks like we are almost there... still have the below as missing from the build, and gives the download error as well.   Hopefully this will be it!

{074EE22F-2485-4FED-83D1-AAC36C3D9ED0}, dotnetfx35.exe and helper.exe 

0 Kudos

That last was my bad, forgot to run as admin.   So now I have an installation created.   When I go to run it, it kicks off as expected initially.

It prompts that installs of:

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express SP2 System CLR Types(x64)

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express SP2 System CLR Types(x86)

Microsoft ReportViewer 

with a status of pending... I click through and the download for a .NET 1.0 package starts, and then I get a fatal error of:

1603:  Error installing Microsoft(R) .NET Framework.

Ideas?

0 Kudos

Hi @BNonnemann ,

Could you get any log file regarding this?

If .NET framework is failing to install, have you checked the temp directory to see if there are log files generated there?

Since you require .NET Framework, how do you have Microsoft's .NET Framework install included in your Installer? For some operating systems you will need to run DISM to enable .NET Framework, while for other operating systems you will need to download and install files from Microsoft.

If it is because of windows feature enablement failure,you can try(For windows 10 )enabling windows feature using installshield built-in pre-requisite which will be available under INSTALLDIR\SetupPrerequisites\Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Windows Feature).prq

Check whether this link too helps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/834484/you-receive-an-error-1603-a-fatal-error-occurred-during-installation

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

I tried running through the items on the link provided, and none seem to apply:

1. No previous instances installed, nothing shows is add/remove programs

2. There are no encrypted folders on the machines in question

3. Substitute drive -- not familiar with this, but the machine is 'regular' Windows 10 machine with a single hard disk

4. Properties on C:\ show Full Control for SYSTEM.

On one machine, it says it needs to install the SQL CLR types -- both 32 and 64 bit, along with the report viewer.   The other one I just tried announced that it need only the SQL CLR installs.   It seems to proceed, but for unknown reasons is download dotnetfx  -- .NET Framework 1.0 SP 3.   I have no idea where that comes from, other than perhaps as being required by the either the MS Report Viewer or the Crystal Reports Viewer.

I went looking around in the %temp% folder, and the attached file had an appropriate date stamp, please find it attached.

Thanks,

Bob

0 Kudos