cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
balu489
Level 3

Installshield database wizard is not allowing to next screen in case TLS 1.2 enable

Installshield database wizard is not allowing to next screen from database dialog, in case TLS 1.2 enable on system.
When I click on Next button on SQL server dialog, it prompting an error like "Error: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SEC CreateCredentials()).]SSL security error".

I am using Installshield 2014 Installscript project.

Please find the attached the error screen shot. Is there a way to avoid this type of issue.

Please help !
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Have you configured InstallShield to use a more recent version of SQL Server client driver that supports TLS 1.2? See TLS 1.2 support for Microsoft SQL Server topic for more details about the updates of client components. Also,this blog post should help you to learn how to change the driver.
0 Kudos
balu489
Level 3

hidenori wrote:
Have you configured InstallShield to use a more recent version of SQL Server client driver that supports TLS 1.2? See TLS 1.2 support for Microsoft SQL Server topic for more details about the updates of client components. Also,this blog post should help you to learn how to change the driver.

"Hi Hidenori, thanks for your post it's really helpful..."
0 Kudos
balu489
Level 3

Hello Hideroni,

Recently I have faced a challenge with exclusively TLS 1.2 setting.

Scenario: I have to install Application on SERVER1 and Database is configure on SERVER2. On both Servers i have enabled the exclusively TLS 1.2 setting.
During Setup installation, installer is not able to connect the Database server on SQLServerSelectLogin dialog. Please see the attached SqlTLS1.2Error.png image.

Please let me know in case of any work around of above issue.
0 Kudos

Hello was there any update to this issue?  I am having a similar problem.

0 Kudos

Hi @emmanuelc ,

Did you configure your project to use a database driver that has support for TLS 1.2, such as SQL Server 2008 Native Client? By default, installations that are created in InstallShield use the SQL Server OLE DB provider which has no TLS 1.2 support.

See http://blogs.flexerasoftware.com/installtalk/2012/05/tips-for-sql-server-2012-express-localdb-suppor... on how to configure InstallShield to use a different driver.

0 Kudos

My problem is not about SQL Server, its about TLS1.2

I have a custom DLL that communicates with a process on the server via TCP.   Its referenced in the script like this: 

function number CheckServerExistsApp(hMSI)
	OBJECT oObj;
	STRING sDLL, sRet, szServername;
	STRING svSupportDir[MAX_PATH];
begin
try
	svSupportDir = MyGetProperty(hMSI, "SUPPORTDIR"); 
	sDLL = svSupportDir ^ "InstallShieldFunctions.dll";
	UseDLL( sDLL );
	set oObj = CoCreateObjectDotNet(sDLL, "InstallShieldFunctions.InstallShieldFunctions");
	szServername = MyGetProperty(hMSI, "SERVERNAME");	
	sRet = oObj.CheckServer(szServername);
	MsiSetProperty(hMSI, "SERVEREXISTS", sRet);
	//MessageBox( "Return = " ^ sRet, MB_OK );
catch
	MessageBox( "Caught Error = " ^ Err.Description, INFORMATION); 
endcatch;
	return 0;
end;  

This code works fine with TLS1.0 but fails with 1.2.   Similarly a test program that I use with that same DLL works with TLS1.0 and 1.2.   So it looks like IS 2019 is not TLS1.2 compliant, is that correct?

0 Kudos

Hi @emmanuelc ,

Thanks for the information.It might not be directly linked with InstallShield in this i guess.What is the OS you are currently using?

I could see post stating windows update can give you more insights.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-protocols-in-wi

Can you please verify whether that is causing the issue?

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Running under Winders Server 2016.   

0 Kudos