cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex12345678910
Level 2

InstallShield cannot open *.isl Please contact Flexera Software technical support...

Upgraded to InstallShield Limited Edition 2013, now it can't open any of the existing *.isl projects. The project were created by previous Limited Edition (not sure which version it was).

Error text: "InstallShield cannot open ... Please contact Flexera Software technical support for more information."

After this the project is "(unavailable)" in Solution Explorer.
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
alex12345678910
Level 2

I ended up creating new installation project. Not the best solution if your setup is somewhat complex.

Make sure you copy the Upgrade Code from the old project. Otherwise, the upgrade won't work for end user.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

I'm not able to reproduce your issue on my end. Would it be possible for you to post one of your old .isl projects in question so that we can look into further?
0 Kudos
john_smith
Level 2

I have also just installed Visual Studio 2013 and upgraded to InstallShield Limited Edition for Visual Studio (2013) and I now get this error message when trying to open a Setup Solution in BOTH Visual Studio 2012 AND Visual Studio 2013.

Any thing I can do to aid resolution please?
0 Kudos
john_smith
Level 2

An interesting development, I can create NEW Setup Solutions and the .isl file is correct and XML.

The .isl file of the project I'm attempting to open is in a strange format and definitely NOT XML....A small snippet...

ÐÏࡱá >  þÿ       þÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

There is however another file with a .isl.773 extension which IS XML.....A small snippet...

Not quite sure what is going on?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
0 Kudos
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello John,

Whenever you convert or upgrade a project file from previous version of Installshield, ( for ex: IS 2011 project to IS 2013), a backup of the previous version isl file is created with .isl.773 extension.

If you remove .773 extension, you can open the .isl file in InstallShield Limited Edition.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks ~ Swetha
0 Kudos