cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farukhsharipov
Level 4

InstallChangeFolder Error 2731 Selection Manager not initialized

Hi All

I created Basic MSI project and modified InstallWelcome dialog to navigate to Destination Folder.
During installation I click change and try to set different destination i get Error 2731 Selection Manager not initialized.

I haven't changed anything it's default empty Basic MSI project.

Why this is happening?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create Basic MSI Project
2. Using Project Assistant go to "Installation Interview" select everything to no except "Do you want users to be able to modify the installation location?" select Yes
3. Click Run
4. Click Next on Install Welcome Screen
5. Click Change..
6. Select different folder and click OK
7. You should see error: Error 2731 Selection Manager not initialized.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Make sure that you have a component that is associated with a feature in your setup project. Lacking components in your installation can cause this error.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
farukhsharipov
Level 4

What components, have you tried steps that I listed to reproduce the issue?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

If you add a feature and a component in the Setup Design view under the Installation Designer and then rebuild your release, the Error 2731 should go away.
0 Kudos
Evan_Border
Level 8

farukhsharipov wrote:
What components, have you tried steps that I listed to reproduce the issue?

Windows installer requires that you have at least one component. If you add something (anything, such as a file, folder, registry entry, etc.) InstallShield will add a component, which will prevent the error message that you are seeing.

When following your steps on a freshly installed copy of InstallShield 2014, the following three warnings are issued:

ISDEV : warning -7235: InstallShield could not create the software identification tag because the Tag Creator ID setting in the General Information view is empty.
ISDEV : warning -1527: No files are included in the project.
ISDEV : warning -6122: No components are included in the build.

warning -6122 is the big one. Microsoft Windows Installer does not support having an MSI without any components.
0 Kudos

My project already have components auto-generated. Still getting below warnings
1. -7211
2. -1527
3. -6122

0 Kudos
farukhsharipov
Level 4

Thank you for explanation. Added component, working now.
0 Kudos