cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jweber
Level 6

InstallAnywhere

Since Macrovision is dropping ISMP I was wondering what our options are. Has anyone tried to migrate to InstallAnywhere. I know there is a webinar about this, just wondering if anyone has any real world experience.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
rmohn11
Level 2

I excepted they were going to drop support for ISMP after talking to our sales representative a few weeks ago. We are in the same boat, we've been using ISMP for many years, and have a well-working installation with a lot of custom code. So making the switch isn't going to be easy. If anyone has had any experience with both products, please share.

ISMP has always been buggy - they've always tended to focus on new features rather than fixing existing issues. How does InstallAnywhere compare in that regard?

-Rob
0 Kudos
jweber
Level 6

ISMP has always been buggy - they've always tended to focus on new features rather than fixing existing issues. How does InstallAnywhere compare in that regard?

You hit the nail on the head.
0 Kudos
rmackay
Level 7

We had horrible experiences with InstallAnywhere in the past and have finally gotten to the point where we have a massive framework built around ISMP (11.5 and the older version 5 for legacy stuff). At this point ISMP meets our requirements and a migration effort would be a huge expenditure. It appears that Macrovision has built themselves a nice monopoly in multiplatform installers.
0 Kudos
gamlidek
Level 4

Unless Macrovision has changed this in IA8, there are major problems with upgrading your IS-installed product to an IA-installed product. Migrating your project will also be a fun chore, as well since the layout is quite different. Anyone know if IA8 has a migration assistant?

/gam/
0 Kudos
davbrown2
Level 4

ugh!!

How did people find out about this? I never received an email notification (I also never received any notice about ISMP 11.5 sp1 - did anyone?)

For others in the dark like myself, here are some URL's:

http://www.macrovision.com/products/flexnet_installshield/installanywhere/ismp_eol.shtml

http://www.macrovision.com/downloads/products/flexnet_installshield/installanywhere/webinars/ismp/IA8_ISMP-Clients.html

Does anyone know whether AS/400 support will be available in IA? That was the primary reason for our use of ISMP (Premier). I guess it might be covered in the webinar, which I haven't finished listening to yet.
0 Kudos
jweber
Level 6

I got an email about it, which was basically the link you sent out. As an aside, I sent an email via the website asking the sales department if my company was entitled to IA8 via our existing maintenance plan and you know what happened? I got an email back, with the title:

Your order #JOC-000008373 has been accepted.

1 FLEXnet InstallShield Premier Maintenance - Silver Renewal

Absolutely laughable... Im almost at a loss for words.
0 Kudos
gamlidek
Level 4

I've just finished previewing IA8 and it does *not* provide anything to assist with migrating an ISUI/ISMP project. IA8 *does* look a lot better than ISMP, but we already knew that. Nothing in it appears to be significantly different from IA7, however. The biggest difference appears to be the addition of a couple of native and generic ISMP APIs.

As far as AS/400, I don't think so and I doubt we'll see it any time soon. Maybe you can get your customers to migrate to Windows. 🙂 *ducks*

-gam
0 Kudos