cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LanceRas
Level 7

ISICE10 Error "out of the box"

New BasicMSI project.
Selected option to offer to launch EXE after install in the Project Assistant and the EXE to launch.

Get error:

"Custom action IS_LAUNCH_MY_PROGRAM_PLEASE of type 210 is not documented in table ISCustomActionReference." when doing Vista validation.

Expectation:
"out of the box" I should not have to do further table editing and should not receive this validation error when using this feature. Otherwise, this should be removed from the Project Assistant.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

There's a bit of a tradeoff to using it, but here's a potential workaround you could use. \Support\0409\Settings.xml has a section with a lot of elements. You could add one with Name="IS_LAUNCH_MY_PROGRAM_PLEASE" and Description="Whatever you like", and I believe it should automatically use that description during build. The tradeoff is if you use Hidden="Y" like all the rest do, it will not be displayed unless you choose to display all CAs, but if you use Hidden="N" it will necessarily do the help correctly. More importantly you will have to update settings.xml on all your build machines.

(Personally I don't find ISICE10 to be all that useful, so I'd lean towards disabling it in Tools/Options, but that's your choice to make.)
0 Kudos
LanceRas
Level 7

I don't mind disabling it as long as that doesn't "bite me" later on.
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

In my understanding, the custom action must have a description in order to pass Vista validation, so simply ignoring this could bite you if you plan to submit your setup for logo validation.

In general, launching the application at the end of the setup might not be a good idea. Especially if your complete setupü is elevated (because your setup.exe is manifested to require admin rights or highest available) the application would also run with elevated rights on Vista, which is a security problem.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
LanceRas
Level 7

I guess the next question would be... was there a reason why "IS_LAUNCH_MY_PROGRAM_PLEASE" was left out of the settings.xml file? One would assume that since there is a choice in the wizard to launch the application when finished, that since IS would create the appropriate actions, it would automatically follow the guidelines.

I understand if modifying registry or other custom actions that WE create would put the burdon on us.
0 Kudos