cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IlkkaV
Level 7

IS 2011 steals focus during builds

We recently migrated to InstallShield 2011, and while I generally like the changes, there's one really annoying issue that seems to be new for IS 2011, and that is stealing the focus when IS is building the package. With previous versions I've been able to write e-mails or check my task list while waiting for IS to build the package, but that's now impossible as IS steals focus to itself every time a new build message appears. As our package takes several minutes to build, I'd really need to be able to use my computer for other tasks during the build. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

My setup is Windows 7 Enterprise with dual monitors and InstallShield 2011 Premier.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
IlkkaV
Level 7

Is there any way to work around this? Now that I'm temporarily working with one computer only, I can't do anything else while InstallShield is building and my productivity is going down the drain.
0 Kudos
mitutoyo
Level 4

I have the same set up as you are describing and I do not have the same problems you're describing.

I know this doesn't help you, but it may not be IS that is the problem.
0 Kudos
LanceRas
Level 7

Check your mouse settings in the control panel or with your Mouse driver software (logitech).

If you have something like "Snap To" enabled, it will change focus and position to the default button in a dialog box.
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

I don't have Snap To enabled and IS 2011 is the only app that does this. IS 2010 behaved just fine. Now it's highly annoying as I cannot even type properly while IS is running a build (actually I was cut off mid-sentence while typing this as a new build message appeared in the IS build log). Not sure what exactly is the culprit, but IS 2010 works just like it should on the same setup.
0 Kudos
SteveLovell
Level 5

IlkkaV, try this. It involves making a registry change but it will stop all applications from stealing screen focus.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/stealingfocus02.htm
0 Kudos