cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ralphster
Level 6

How to skin a custom dialog?

I created a 2016 Basic MSI InstallShield project, and later converted it to an InstallShield 2019 project. My project uses custom dialog boxes. When I originally created the dialog boxes I believe I selected them as a script based dialog box. (I did not select them as skinnable). So is there a way to use any of the skins provided by InstallShield, even though I did not select the skinnable option?(Thought:Is it possible for a dialog box to be both a script based dialog box and a skinnable dialog box)?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @ralphster ,

How about selecting and creating New Skinnable dialog and setting the dialog ID as the dialog ID which you want to apply skin?

When i say ID it is resource identifier.

Can you give a try?

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hi Jennifer,

Hey it is an InstallScript project and the custom dialogs were originally created  as a "Script Based Dialog" type, so, can script based dialogs be skinned? I am thinking that maybe they can't be because when I create a new dialog box I get three choices:

Blank Dialog
Script Based Dialog
Skinnable Dialog

They appear to be mutually exclusive. I have about 6 Custom Script Based dialog boxes which I would like to skin. However they were not created originally as "Skinnable Dialog" boxes. So my question is still the following:

Can Script Based Dialog box be skinned using the Skins provided by InstallShield?

0 Kudos

Hi @ralphster ,

Did applying given code in this specific post worked for you with script based dialog?

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Forum/Skinning/m-p/113698#M66628

My suggestion in previous reply was:

• Creating skinnable dialog
  • Apply skin changes you want to do
  • Apply the resource identifier(Dialog ID) of script based dialog that you want to apply skin for.

In other ways i dont think so it is possible.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hi Jenifer,

I have an InstallScript project and used the code you suggested as a reference. The only thing I saw in the code that I should use was the command "Enable(USE_LOADED_SKIN)". I tried using that, but I could not skin my dialog. 

My second approach within the same project was to create a skinnable dialog box as you suggested, and then I selected a skin  from the Skins folder. Still that did not work. 

So as it stands I have not been able to apply one of the built in skins to the InstallScript project. Do you know of anyone who has actually been able to use the skins in an InstallScript project? If so, could you possibly consult with them on how to skin dialogs of the InstallScript type?

0 Kudos

Never mind Jennifer. I will just plan on creating the skinnable dialog types rather than trying to convert them.

0 Kudos