cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Winks
Level 6

How do I prevent Setup.exe from executing if user doesn't have Admin permissions

I have a basic MSI project that uses Setup.exe. If the user does not have Administrator permisions I want Setup.exe to stop before it even gets to the splash screen or unbundles the msi.

The MSI is set so that Administrator permissions are required to install, along with an installation Condition set to deliver a message to the user if (s)he doesn't have Administrator permissions. If I install the msi by itself (no Setup.exe) it stops and complains that the user needs administrator permissions as I expect.

The problem is that I want a message to appear when I launch Setup.exe rather than when the .msi executes. Right now, if the user doesn't have Administrator permissions, Setup.exe displays a splash screen and then stops to prompt the user for a location to store the expanded msi (cache MSI locally value set in release configuration <-desired). Finally, it notifies the user that Administrator permissions are required.

I have set the required execution level to Administrator on the Release definition Setup.exe tab but this does not seem to help.

Is there any way to do this?

Richard
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
rrinblue22
Level 9

Guess there's no way to have the setup.exe detect and abort the install before a splash screen is pop'd up.
What you can try is having a custom action in the very beginning of the User Interface sequence (before ISSetupFilesExtract)to see if that helps.
0 Kudos
Richard_Winks
Level 6

I'll look into that. Thanks

Richard
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

Have you tried to set the "Required Execution Level" to "Administrator". Then you can only execute the setup.exe if you have Admin rights. Not exactly what you want, but eventually sufficient.

regards

Markus
0 Kudos