cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiggers
Level 7

DIM Project - Features?

I'm trying to make use of DIM projects to subdivide a larger project into 32bit, 64bit and agnostic components. On the Components view in the DIM project it says, "In order for a component to be installed, it must be associated with a feature. At this time, the Component Wizard can associate the new component with a new feature."

So where are the Features in a DIM project?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Maybe I'm behind the times, but I believe DIMs contain only component information and data and not feature information, which is why (for example) you add a DIM to a feature but not to the product overall.
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

So you need a separate DIM for every Feature? I thought the idea of DIMs was that they were modules that could be assembled into a bigger installation, but if you need a separate DIM for every Feature then it is one level below what I would have expected.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Right, a DIM is closer to a merge module, with just components. I think the original idea was that a product developer who wasn't the setup developer would create a DIM to define the data that needs to be installed, and then the install developer can figure out the UI, how the DIM's contents fit into the feature tree, and so on.
0 Kudos