cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoderCoder
Level 8

Custom Action not waiting for completion

I have a custom action that needs to call uninstaller.exe of an application before I install my installation. The application that will be uninstalled is not an msi package. The uninstall of the application can take a minute or two. I want my Custom Action wait for the uninstall to finish and then execute the next action. However, it is not waiting for the completion. Even after my application installation finishes, it takes another 5 or so secs for the uninstaller of the other application.

So how can I force my CA to wait? Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
JoderCoder
Level 8

This article, http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalID=Q105105, is targeting to my problem, however, I cant find a Wait for Action property.

It is correct that my CA doesnt have a window.

I'd appreciate any pointers!
0 Kudos
wallywojo
Level 4

What can happen many times with these types of installers is that the bootstrap that you reference uninstaller.exe then calls something else to finish the uninstall, but MSI is only monitoring the process uninstaller.exe. This is demonstrated by point 3 in that article referenced. In this event you will likely need to write your own custom action that is in a loop and waits until a certain condition is met. Probably the best way would be to use something like process explorer to manually find out what process is really finishing the uninstall then monitor that process at run time of the install to completion in your C.A.
0 Kudos
JoderCoder
Level 8

Hmm that's it.. There was another exe inherited from the exe that I executed. So after I execute that I now check if the inherited exe is finished in another Custom Action.

Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos