cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhamaoka
Level 2

Help: Can't open project file

I'm using InstallShield 2008 and am trying to open a project file that was developed previously. When I try to open the .ism file, I get the error message "InstallShield cannot open . Please contact Macrovision technical support for more information.

Has anyone out there run into this problem before? Do you have any hints as to how to troubleshoot what the problem is?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Regards,
Michael
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Christoph
Level 8

Is that project file saved with Installshield 2008 before or was it originally saved with an older installshield version?
0 Kudos
mhamaoka
Level 2

The project file was saved with the same version, InstallShield 2008.

However, the machine it was originally authored on encountered some problems and had to be re-imaged, so the OS and InstallShield 2008 are fresh installs rather than what was there before.
0 Kudos
wallywojo
Level 4

Just a couple thoughts to try to help.

What format is the ism in, binary or xml?

If binary, can you open it with Orca or does that also complain? If xml, open the file in an XML editor and see if it complains about the format.

If you are using source control to store your ism files, I'd recommend always using the xml for the project type. We have had only 1 or 2 problems since going to that method a few years ago. Binary consistently gave us problems.
0 Kudos