cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schoksi
Level 2

Create Single MSI for setup with prereuisities

Using InstallShield2010 profession with Basic MSI project.

I want to create a single MSI file with list of prerequisities added.
I know that having prerequisites, I cannot create single MSI file so Can anyone give me any information regarding this problem.

Is there any other way that I can create single MSI file by Wrapping EXE and prerequisites folder. I Must have to create single MSI no matter how.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
lasiewicz
Level 6

From what I understand you can not use an exe. The result must be a single .msi file.

If that is the case, you can not use the installshield prerequistes.
Prerequisites are called by the setup launcher, the .exe file.
You can however install any needed application through custom actions.

Whether or not you want to do this depends on what these applications are. If these are msis as well, it can be done, but is not in best practice.
0 Kudos
clintontull
Level 3

So in this instance i can have one msi launch another msi by using the CA?
I thought or experienced once that only 1 msi install can be running at one time. with WInstaller 4.x i think you can do chaining. but want to know if i have created a msi and put the msi as a file in the msi and use a CA to run a deferred action to install it will it still work?
0 Kudos
tenebrae
Level 4

clintontull wrote:
So in this instance i can have one msi launch another msi by using the CA?
I thought or experienced once that only 1 msi install can be running at one time. with WInstaller 4.x i think you can do chaining. but want to know if i have created a msi and put the msi as a file in the msi and use a CA to run a deferred action to install it will it still work?

1. There can be no two installations in Execute phase at the same time, but if you call dependant install during UI phase, then it should be fine. This will however not work if you need to ensure installation in quiet mode, when UI phase is not executed.
2. There're certain CA types to perform embedded install of another msi, but the whole solution is obsoleted by MS and that's for a reason (it basically creates more issues that it solves).

3. Basically, the current approach to this by MS is:
a) install MSIs one at time
b) in case you need to do more than one, result will be .exe
c) in case you still need to have MSI at the end, they have no solution for you.

4. As for your question - it is achievable, despite all of the above. But can't share the design details. Sorry.

Regards,

tene
0 Kudos