cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ISNoob
Level 6

CommonAppDataFolder - Files are not being installed

Hi

I have a a few template files that I wish to install in the CommonAppDataFolder - but thie installer does not display the dialog for it, and it does not install the files..

I am also installing files in the ProgramFi;es ditectory and my installer does display a dialog for this, and installs the files..

Any help on this - why arent the files being installed in CommonAppDataFolder?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
chriscw
Level 6

I did not find a wizzy GUI for this so waht we did was to use

"\\"

as the location for what we called our Program Data component. WEe also assigned this path in our script because we wanted to be able to modify some of the files after installation. Having scripted iot we could have used AskPath to allow users to change the location had we wished to do that.

There is a problem though in that Windows contains a feature whereby when you make a directory only the user creating the directory has access. That's all fine and dandy of course BUT its a BUG as far as the FOLDER_COMMON_APPDATA location is concerned because it should be possible for all users to modify stuff stored there otherwise it is sort of pointless having the location in the first place.

I am currently trying to work out a way round this bug in windows as our application is normally used by all users on a PC not just the person doing the install.
0 Kudos
chriscw
Level 6

A search on this forum found this:

http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=181274&highlight=permissions

which contains some code to set permissions, I'm just off to try it.
0 Kudos
ISNoob
Level 6

After speaking to the developers at my office the files are being installed but they are hidden,
You need to enable the "show hidden folders" or its equivalent in Vista
The Dialog option to display isn't required anymore, as the customers should not know where the files are. I am happy with this design!! Although I might just try out the link you informed me of kindly. If I am successful/unsuccessful I'll post on here.

Thanks!
0 Kudos