cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wajidhussain_m
Level 3

Basic MSI Installer in ISLE

Can someone give me some pointers where I can build a MSI in the Installer Shield Spring LE that would deploy a folder (with content) to some destination folder in a target machine, using VS 2012. I've given few tries but ended up in the same folder getting created in the build directory along with setup.exe, msi and some config files. I can't use this MSI alone for installation from a different machine/directory since it depends on the folder generated by the IS compiler.
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Could you please try below steps:

>Open ISLE project in visual studio
>Double click on Releases view under Prepare for release view
>Set compression to "Compressed" under build tab
>Set Setup launcher to "No" under setup.exe tab (if works,if no prereq are included in the project)
>build the project to build single msi setup.

Thanks
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
wajidhussain_m
Level 3

Thanks Chiranjeevi.

I now realized the use of these options. But since I do have pre-reqs for my installer, am not able to generate the MSI. Is there any other way to deal with this?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello

There is no other way to achieve this behavior, that's why prerequisites are separate. One reason is that you can't install an MSI-based install from within an MSI based install. Another is that prerequisites almost always require admin privileges, but app setups sometimes don't.

Regards,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
wajidhussain_m
Level 3

Looks like, this is not inline with Visual studio where in we could create just MSI based deployables with pre-reqs and admin rights.
Thanks much for the answer Chiranjeevi.
0 Kudos