cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMadden
Level 6

Arabic and Hebrew not persistent for InstallScript projects

Hi,

I just tried to add Arabic and Hebrew to an existing InstallScript project, but it's not possible to persist those languages. You can add them in the UI and export the stringtables, but whenever you save/close the project and reopen it, they are gone.

It seems to work fine with MSI projects.

Does anyone know if this is a known bug and if there is a fix for it?

-Sandra
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
mberterm
Level 7

Sandra,

It is interesting that these languages are available to you in the InstallScript project type since ... however, that may be due to the migration from an earlier version.

Opening up a new InstallScript project in IS2009, I do not see these languages as an option.

Because of larger issues in the framework of the InstallScript engine and needed changes to properly display right-to-left languages, this feature is not presently available in the InstallScript project type.

According to the Release Notes, only the MSI project types are supported.

-Mike

Arabic (Saudi Arabia) and Hebrew Language Support, and Dialog Editor Support for Right-to-Left Languages
InstallShield now includes support for Arabic (Saudi Arabia) and Hebrew languages, which are written and read from right to left. All of the default end-user dialog strings are available in these languages.

Since these languages are read from right to left, InstallShield also includes support for mirroring Arabic and Hebrew dialogs; that is, InstallShield uses a right-to-left layout for Arabic and Hebrew dialogs. Thus, for example, buttons that are on the right side of dialogs in English and other left-to-right languages are moved to the left side of right-to-left-language dialogs. In addition, InstallShield uses mirror-image versions of the dialog images that are displayed for the built-in dialog themes.

The right-to-left layouts and reversed images are used in the Dialog Editor pane in the Dialogs view of InstallShield, and also at run time.

The Arabic and Hebrew support is available in the InstallShield Premier Edition. The Premier edition now includes support for 35 different languages.

The following project types include support for this feature: Basic MSI, Merge Module, and Web.

This feature resolves the following issues: 17591, 1-677QE, 1-9R7FX, 1-9S3RT, 1-KNTH2, and IOB-000004752.
0 Kudos
mberterm
Level 7

Which version was used to author the former package?

I authored new InstallScript packages in IS12 and IS2008, migrated them, but Hebrew/Arabic were not among the available languages.

If you would like to take this further, I would like to see your pre-migrated project. Private message me or contact Support and refer to this posting.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

The built-in Arabic and Hebrew support is only available for Basic MSI projects at this time. If you refer to the New Language Wizard that can be launched from the Tools | Add New Language menu, new languages can be only added to Basic MSI projects.
0 Kudos
SMadden
Level 6

thanks for the clarification.

I upgraded the project from IS 2008, but I also get the two languages as a selection when creating a new InstallScript project in 2009.

When you go in Project Properties / Setup Languages, click on Show only available languages.

After that Arabic and Hebrew show up and can be added. The stringtable can also be exported, but after saving the project, it's gone again.

-Sandra
0 Kudos
mberterm
Level 7

Thanks for the repro steps.

Yes, indeed, the languages do appear ... submitted in IOC-000072484.

There only seems to be one adverse affect, that of a build warning for the missing IsRes.dll
0 Kudos