cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Weiman
Level 4

Setup fails with feature prerequisites

Hi,

I've just installed IS2009 and I'm trying to associate some of my prerequisites with features. The project (basic MSI) builds without errors but when I run the installation it exits before anything is installed. Here is the relevant part of the log file:

[code]MSI (c) (E4:04) [08:32:22:062]: Doing action: ISInstallPrerequisites
Action 8:32:22: ISInstallPrerequisites.
Action start 8:32:22: ISInstallPrerequisites.
MSI (c) (E4:78) [08:32:22:062]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\DOCUME~1\ABB\LOCALS~1\Temp\MSI9.tmp, Entrypoint: InstallPrerequisites
InstallShield 8:32:22: Features with associated prerequisites are being installed or advertised. Finding setup.exe...
InstallShield 8:32:22: Looking for setup launcher in 'D:\Jowe\Install\DISK1' with name 'setup.exe'...
InstallShield 8:32:22: Checking for correct setup launcher 'D:\Jowe\Install\DISK1\setup.exe'...
InstallShield 8:32:22: Found matching product code in 'D:\Jowe\Install\DISK1\setup.ini'.
Action ended 8:32:22: ISInstallPrerequisites. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (E4:04) [08:32:22:843]: Doing action: SetupCompleteError
[/code]

Any ideas?

Johannes
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I've not seen this fail at that step. Is there anything more you can say about the environment on which you're running the setup (version of windows, mapped drives being used, etc.), or perhaps attach the full log?
0 Kudos
Weiman
Level 4

Hi Michael,

This was on VMWare running a clean XP SP3 guest. But I get the same result running on my dev machine with Vista SP1. I've attached the full log.

thanks,
Johannes
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I don't see any clear indicators in the log as to what's going on. I expect there's something in your installation package that we didn't account for. Could I get you to get a debugview log (per http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q106954&sliceId=1 but use a level of 7 instead of 2)? Alternately if you can reproduce this starting with a sample project and share the steps (add this merge module, or that large of a directory tree) to make it fail I could try debugging into it directly.
0 Kudos
Weiman
Level 4

Hi Michael,

I haven't been able to reproduce this in a new project, but I managed to remove almost everything from my project and still have the error. I have uploaded a build here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/122862890/FeaturePrereqError.zip.html

It would be great if you could take a look at it.. I've also attached the debugview log.

thanks, Johannes
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Hi Johannes,
Thanks for the log and sample project. Using them I was able to confirm the cause and craft and verify a fix. This fix will be available in the near future, but contact me by email (murman) if you need it sooner (and can accept it not going through our QA first). This issue is now tracked under WO# IOC-000072480.
0 Kudos
Weiman
Level 4

Thanks Michael, that's great news. I'll wait for the official fix 🙂

Johannes
0 Kudos