cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattQVI
Level 8

Allow for the Maintenance dialog to only have one option

Jump to solution

I disabled Repair and Change for the install that affects Programs and Features in Control Panel but then went to the MaintenanceType dialog to do the same.  Now with only one button on the screen, I get an error at runtime.  How do I fix this?  Thanks.

Error 2855. The radio button group RadioGroup on dialog Maintenance Type has fewer than 2 buttons.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Jenifer,

Thank you for that information.  It makes sense.

After thinking about this more, if there is only 1 radio button in the dialog, the dialog becomes unnecessary.  What I mean is, MaintenanceWelcome Next button doesn't open MaintenanceType because there is only one option now (Remove) so I set the Next button to open the ReadyToRemove dialog instead.  And in the ReadyToRemove dialog, I set the Back button to go back to MaintenanceWelcome.

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @MattQVI ,

Below KB-article explains the cause and fix for run-time error-2855:

Cause

A radio button group on a dialog has fewer than two radio buttons associated with it. All radio button groups must have at least two radio buttons associated with the control.

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Windows-Installer-Error-2855/ta-p/4734

Thanks,

Jenifer

Jenifer,

Thank you for that information.  It makes sense.

After thinking about this more, if there is only 1 radio button in the dialog, the dialog becomes unnecessary.  What I mean is, MaintenanceWelcome Next button doesn't open MaintenanceType because there is only one option now (Remove) so I set the Next button to open the ReadyToRemove dialog instead.  And in the ReadyToRemove dialog, I set the Back button to go back to MaintenanceWelcome.

Matt

0 Kudos
Nishant_Pandit
Level 3

Hi MattQVI

I am beginner in install-shield. I am searching that "How to disable modify button when user trying to re-run the same setup by MaintenanceType dialog".

I saw your question in which you mentioned you have successfully disable the radio buttons. I just need to disable one radio-button which is "Modify" only. So requesting to you can you please help me on this how did you do that?.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos

Is your InstallShield project a basic MSI or installscript?  If it's a basic MSI, then my experience with the Maintenance Welcome dialog might help you.

First, in the General Information section, scroll down to/locate the Add or Remove Programs.  Modify the Disable Change Button to Yes.  This will not allow the user to select Modify from Add/Remove Programs.

Next in Dialogs under User Interface, find the MaintenanceType dialog.  Click the plus sign to expand it (if not done already).  Click on the language of your installation package.  For example, after expanding MaintenanceType I see Behavior and English (United States).  After clicking on the language, you will see how the dialog will look when running the install.  The first option is usually Modify.  As long as you are still using the other two options in the dialog (Repair and Remove), you should be able to remove Modify, its icon and description but it's a very delicate process.  Clicking on the radio button didn't work for me (it selected the entire contents) so I used the property dialog on the right.  My suggestion is to move the other buttons up first. 

Select _IsMaintenace1 (RadioButton) in the properties dialog.  Take not of the Top value.  Now get the Top value for Icon1 (Icon) and Text1 (Text).

Select _IsMaintenace2 (RadioButton) in the properties dialog.  Again, take not of the Top value.  Now get the Top value for Icon2 (Icon) and Text2 (Text).

Once you have the Top values written down, you can start moving them.

Select _IsMaintenace2 (RadioButton) in the properties dialog.  Change the Top value to the Top value for _IsMaintenance1.  Repeat this using Top value for Icon1 in Icon2 and Top value from Text1 in Text2.  This should have moved Repair to where Modify once was.

Select _IsMaintenace3 (RadioButton) in the properties dialog.  Change the Top value to the Top value for _IsMaintenance2.  Repeat this for Top value in Icon2 and Text2 like you did for Repair.  This should have moved Remove to where Repair once was.

Select _IsMaintance1 (RadioButton) in the properties dialog.  Change the Top value to 200.  Select Icon1.  Change the Top value to 205.  Select Text1.  Change the Top value to 210.  This should get the Modify option out of the way so it can be removed.  Haven't learned how to hide it - which would be extremely helpful in the case that I have to allow Modify again.

Thank you very much @MattQVI  for your quick help. Its really appreciable.  By your suggestion i have learned how to remove radio-buttons from maintenance UI, although my need is to just disable the "modify button". But as a workaround i can do the changes suggested by you.

Thank You!!

0 Kudos

If you want to have less than two options in the MaintenanceType dialog, that is where I updated the MaintenanceWelcome dialog's behavior for the Next button to go to ReadyToRemove instead of MaintenanceType.  My reason was Modify and Repair were no longer viable options for the install.

0 Kudos