cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidPainter
Level 3

Access denied (0x5) to .tmp files.

Hi

One of our customers has experienced an issue with our Installscript installer that I've not seen before.
While installing files, they are seeing "Access denied (0x5)" error to xxxxx.tmp files.

If they choose retry, then invariably it succeeds and the install continues.
If they choose ignore, then the install usually fails. In the log, I see something like:

Feature: {myFeature}
Component: {myComponent}
File: {installPath}\Sys9BE4.tmp
Error: The system cannot find the file specified.

So looks like the installer attempts to create the file, gets an Access Denied, so when the user selects ignore, the installer hits this error and aborts.

These .tmp files are not part of the product being installed, so I assume they are intermediate files generated by the Installscript installer?

Has anyone seen this before?
Any system information I could ask the customer for that may help debug the issue?

thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Stefan_M
Level 5

Maybe an antivirus program blocks the access to this file.
0 Kudos
DavidPainter
Level 3

Hi Stefan

Yes, that was my original thought, but it seems that when they choose retry, the write is successful.
If antivirus was blocking it, wouldn't the retry also fail?
0 Kudos
Stefan_M
Level 5

No. The antivirus program notice there is a new file. Opens the file for checks (this is the time the file is blocked). After the check the file is accessible for other programs (installer) or removed (worst case).
0 Kudos
DavidPainter
Level 3

OK, yes that makes sense. Thanks Stefan.
0 Kudos

@DavidPainter ,

Pls check the below KB article, I hope the workaround helps you to automate the file retry operation. 

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/InstallScript-File-Error-Access-is-Denied-for-tmp-Files/ta-p/4211

0 Kudos