cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
petsicola
Level 2

About custom Actions

I'm making a new installation and I need to make a custom action to install a msi program and I'm making this.
I put in [SUPPORTDIR] a file soapsdk.msi and then I'm trying to call soapsdk.msi from custom actions but it puts an error that installshield canĀ“t read the file in that directory. I make the same with another programs like exe programs and i donĀ“t have problem.
I try another posibility calling msiexec.exe from custom actions----->
File is on target computer.
command line and parameters -----> msiexec.exe /i soapsdk.msi /q
/i filename /q quiet mode... but it doesnĀ“t wont work.

I donĀ“t know another posibilitys as make an msm or another form... can anybody help me?
thanks for all
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Reddy611
Level 6

i think this is help full to u .

y cont u give as a nested installer.in custom action it is possible.like that am giving cristal report engine installer.

check in custom actions.
0 Kudos
mberterm
Level 7

Take a look at this older thread and at the attached InstallShield Express 11 example.

The sample is was intended to illustrate launching an executable (notepad.exe) after installation to view a file (an installed TXT) at the end of the installation.

I will also look to see if there is a more recent example.
0 Kudos
mberterm
Level 7

Some thoughts on installing a child package in the course of a parent installation, both of which are MSI.

• When launched with a simple custom action, the child MSI comes up on top of the parent package (unless the quiet flag is used).
  • Once the first MSI has entered its Execute sequence (eg, file transfer, after clicking the 'Install' button), no other packages can enter that sequence.
  • InstallShield 2009 (the Premier & Professional editions) offers the Prerequisite mechanism that can install the MSI before the parent installation begins. Express does not come with the editor, but only offers the stock prerequisites to be included like ordinary merge modules.
  • Dialogs cannot be significantly (form & functionality) modified in Express, limiting your ability to prompt, notifiy and conditionally execute.

I'm making a new installation and I need to make a custom action to install a msi program and I'm making this.

On the whole this is not a recommended approach, but take a look at the attached sample project.

I put in [SUPPORTDIR] a file soapsdk.msi and then I'm trying to call soapsdk.msi from custom actions but it puts an error that installshield canĀ“t read the file in that directory. I make the same with another programs like exe programs and i donĀ“t have problem.

SUPPORTDIR reaches files in the English node under the root Support Files node in the Support Files view. SETUPEXEDIR reaches the DISK1 location. (search for both terms in the help library)

I donĀ“t know another posibilitys as make an msm or another form...

The popularity of MSMs has decreased as various troubles of maintenance have come to light.
0 Kudos
mberterm
Level 7

Here is the sample Express 2008 project.
0 Kudos