cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SHIVAPRASAD
Level 4

Files not getting copied when installed in Silent Mode

Hi All,

I am trying to install our product in SILENT mode and it is getting installed successfully, but the problem is few files are not getting copied on target machine. Our product is build using IA-2015 and IA-2013.

When the product is installed using GUI and CONSOLE everything is good, am still trying to figure out the reason for this behavior.

Can any one please suggest me a Solution / Reason for this behavior.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Not applicable

Hope you tried this through "Copy File" action and we couldn't face any issues as such from our end. Can you elaborate a.bit more on the action used and also on which platforms and JVM tried?
0 Kudos
SHIVAPRASAD
Level 4

Hi Rajasekhar,

Thanks for quick reply, the missing files basically includes ".txt & .html" and a "folder" - which will be getting created when we run a JAVA.exe command.

The following are the actions used for missing files and folders:

1. For Text files: Modify Text File - Single File Action is used mostly, New File: option is selected

2. For HTML files: Modify Text File - Single File Action is used.

3. JVM Used: JVM8 is used, bundled along with windows Installer.

4. Operating Systems: Windows_7_64bit & 32bit, RHEL6-64bit, AIX_ppc6-64bit, SOLARIS-10-64bit, HP_UX-Itanium_64bit

5. IA_version: Latest IA_2015 version.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Shivaprasad

We are not able to reproduce as such. It would be more helpful if you could provide us any further details.

Regards
Vaishnavi
0 Kudos
SHIVAPRASAD
Level 4

Hi Vaishnavi / Rajasekhar,

I wanted make a slight correction to my query, the problem is "Files not getting installed on target machine in silent mode".
Apologize if I've created any kind of confusion.

Further details about the issue are like

1. I have tried to generate response file using command line arguments "test.exe -r my.properties", it was generated but i can only see a very limited information as specified below(sample):

It doesn't hold the any of the Settings information which user opt during installation in GUI mode.

#Install
#-------
-fileOverwrite_C\:\\Program\ Files\\TEST\\Version\ 8\\_UnInstall_\\Uninstall.lax=Yes
-fileOverwrite_C\:\\Program\ Files\\TEST\\Version\ 8\\V8_\\resource\\iawin64_x64.dll=Yes
-fileOverwrite_C\:\\Program\ Files\\TEST\\Version\ 8\\V8_\\resource\\win64_32_x64.exe=Yes
-fileOverwrite_C\:\\Program\ Files\\TEST\\Version\ 8\\V8_\\resource\\remove.exe=Yes
-fileOverwrite_C\:\\Program\ Files\\TEST\\Version\ 8\\V 8_\\resource\\invoker.exe=Yes
-fileOverwrite_C\:\\Program\ Files\\TEST\\Version\ 8\\_jetty\\servicewrapper\\wrapper_license.txt=Yes
-fileOverwrite_C\:\\Program\ Files\\TEST\\Version\ 8\\_jetty\\servicewrapper\\pro\ Java\ Service.exe=Yes

2. I've also tried to install using Response file which holds the following information and the below specified information for installer I've added it manually.

#System Restrat after Installation
#---------------------------------
RESTART_NEEDED=NO

#Installation Mode
#-----------------
INSTALLER_UI=silent

#Installation Folder
#-------------------------
USER_INSTALL_DIR=D:\\TEST

#Installation Set(Typical-Default)
#--------------------------
CHOSEN_INSTALL_SET=Typical

#Feature List
#----------------------
CHOSEN_FEATURE_LIST=Application,Help

#Components
#---------------------
CHOSEN_INSTALL_BUNDLE_LIST=Services,AppServices,Jetty,ManServices,Help,Uninstall_ZG-IA,VM

and also few other settings information which I've mentioned in point-1, even then I've seen the same result. 😞

3. Under Installer UI Tab - > Allowable UI Modes -> GUI, Console & Silent all of them were checked.

Can you please let me know like, if i am missing any basic configuration settings at InstallAnywhere End, especially for SILENT Mode.
Which might be creating this problem.
0 Kudos
SHIVAPRASAD
Level 4

On further investigation on this issue, I've figured out that i forgot to include a MAJOR variable in response file to which, all the missing files are linked.

Basically a installer will have Fresh & Upgrade cases, so i just need to include a User Defined variable "Product_Fresh_Install = 1" (For Fresh Install) & "Product_Upgrade=1" (For upgrade Case) in response file.

Rest of the things our installer has taken care based on the inputs specified in Response file. 🙂 🙂
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Shivaprasad

Idle Scenario:
During Run time it is not possible to enable upgrade, only before Build time we can enable upgrade in IA Designer.

The variables like "Product_Fresh_Install = 1" and ""Product_Upgrade=1" added as part of your response file are not part of InstallAnywhere variables list. Ex: "USER_INSTALL_DIR" .For more details regarding InstallAnywhere variables please check under Project -> Variables section in the designer or refer manual.

Hope this helps, Please revert back in case of any further issues.

Regards
Vaishnavi
0 Kudos
SHIVAPRASAD
Level 4

Hello Vaishnavi,

Am really thankful for monitoring and providing me valuable information on the issue, actually the variables "Product_Fresh_Install = 1" and ""Product_Upgrade=1", which I've specified were User Defined variables.

And currently I've configured Response file with those variables which I've mentioned, so that user when runs the installer(Setup.exe file), it will decides weather to go for Upgrade or Fresh Install.

Could you please help me in understanding and analysis the below mentioned issue:

One more issue which i am facing, right from the beginning is when am trying to generate a response file using Command " Install.exe -r my.properties ", its trying to write very little information about some -files Overwrite which I've mentioned in this thread previously. I am unable to find any information about like below mentioned:

#System Restrat after Installation
#---------------------------------
RESTART_NEEDED=NO

#Installation Mode
#-----------------
INSTALLER_UI=silent

#Installation Folder
#-------------------------
USER_INSTALL_DIR=D:\\TEST

#Installation Set(Typical-Default)
#--------------------------
CHOSEN_INSTALL_SET=Typical

#Feature List
#----------------------
CHOSEN_FEATURE_LIST=Application,Help

But the file (install.properties) which the " Create Un-installer action " creates has all the required information, but i will be used by Un-install.exe.
Other way to generate response file is enabling option in General Settings Tab. The only thing which is making me bit confused is am i missing any Configuration or Settings which is not allowing the installer to write information to Response file.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello Shivaprasad

1. When you run the installer(setup.exe) , installer will not understand whether to upgrade/fresh installer based on variables added in response file even though if it is User Defined. Please enable upgrade in IA Designer.
That is under Project -> Upgrades -> Enable Upgrade Support , set to Yes.

For me to understand more on the upgrade scenario, detailed step by step information can help us.

2. Regarding Response file , if you are trying to generate response file in silent mode you will get very minimal information which you have mentioned in the thread previously.
Otherwise if you are trying to generate response file in GUI /Console mode detailed information will be generated as mentioned by you in the below thread.
0 Kudos
SHIVAPRASAD
Level 4

Hello Vaishnavi,

1. I've looked into the option for upgrade, that is under Project -> Upgrades -> Enable Upgrade Support, it was never being set to YES for our product installer.

This is how our installer is being configured for upgrade case:

a. We've created a custom code using JAVA, which search for any existing version of our product is present on the user machine.
b. Then the code Assigns the value to the Variable which we've defined in InstallAnyWhere and will used for further processing.
c. The variable acts like a Flag( like a Boolean(Yes/No) value in C/JAVA code) to our installer, then through out installation our installer will make use of that variable to perform certain tasks/actions.
d. Now the same Variable which is used as a FLAG variable, am using it in Response file

The above mentioned scenario is being used since last 2 years its not creating any problem during upgrade. Please let me know if you have any queries on it.

2. Yes, now am able to generate Response file with complete details about installation and its configuration, after running it in GUI mode.

Thanks & Regards,
ShivaPrasad.
0 Kudos