cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lizette
Level 3

32bit and 64bit installation in one installer

Hi,

I'd like to create an installer that is capable of installing in either 32bit or 64bit machine. The installer will be smart enough to know the target platform and install the appropriate files, jre, etc. Therefore, if it's a 64bit machine, then the installer will only install the 64bit files. How can this be implemented?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
praveendanam
Level 5

Please search for 'Template Summary Property' in installshield help

-praveen
0 Kudos
lizette
Level 3

thanks for the info, but i'm required to use only InstallAnywhere
0 Kudos
qqqqqq
Level 7

Any solution to this?
How have single installer which will put 32 bit/64 bit jre according to platform?

Is it that I need to package all the jres 32, bit+64 bit+platformSpecificJre with the installer?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

qqqqqq wrote:
Any solution to this?
How have single installer which will put 32 bit/64 bit jre according to platform?

Is it that I need to package all the jres 32, bit+64 bit+platformSpecificJre with the installer?

I'm afraid that yes, you need to bundle everything if you want a single installer... Personally, I think it's better to have two installers, one for each platform...
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

What I did was to have separate folders for the platform specific items on the build machine, say 32bin and 64bin. Then I make a folder bin, and inside it, put the two speedfolders with custom rules that check platform/bit size (on linux, call Runtime.getRuntime().exec("getconf LONG_BIT") and massage its output). Then the platform independent items go in their own separate speedfolders. This makes your installer larger because it has to carry around both folders for the platform specific stuff, but if your independent stuff is big enough who cares about the extra couple meg?
0 Kudos