cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors, CPU Count and Cores definitions

Hello all,

I will try to explain what I need here. So here in Cloudscape for CPU it collects processors, CPU count and cores.

Today we had to submit a document to Microsoft to get an estimate of licenses we need for MSSQL servers. As you know, Microsoft licenses per core. Okay great.

What I want to know from the community is: Does the "PROCESSORS" represent the PHYSICAL CPU with all the pins on them and does "CORES" represent the cores in a CPU? AM I making sense? 

Also, what does CPU Count represent in the Cloudscape data? Is it the amount of PHYSICAL CPUs (I assume Processors) x "Cores"?

In essence, I just want to know what "CPU Count", "Processors" and "Cores" represent?

(1) Solution
RCharette
By Level 9 Flexeran
Level 9 Flexeran

'Processors' represents the physical CPU. 'CPU count' on inventory asset is the number of threads, 'Cores' on inventory asset is number of physical cores, however 'Cores' on the Economics report is number of threads.

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
RCharette
By Level 9 Flexeran
Level 9 Flexeran

'Processors' represents the physical CPU. 'CPU count' on inventory asset is the number of threads, 'Cores' on inventory asset is number of physical cores, however 'Cores' on the Economics report is number of threads.

Thanks for this explanation. Very helpful!!! 

Am I to correctly assume then that "Number of Cores" seen on the left-hand side is the CORES x Processors = CPU Count ?

Or is this representing something else? Reason I ask is because if you see the attachment, it says under "Cores"  =  2 and "Processors" = 4 but on the bottom left is says "Number of Cores" = 8 .... I know you said "CORES" represent PHYSICAL cores so is Cloudscape saying base on this image that , this machine has 4 PHYSICAL CPUs and 2 PHYSICAL cores or 8 PHYSICAL cores or 8 TOTAL cores?

I just want to make sure I understand the interpretation because we got to get these MSSQL servers licensed, and I need to get the proper number of PHYSICAL cores.

@steveduffis 

I read this screen into 4 CPU's (physical processors) each having 2 cores and therefore the total number of cores is 8.

Thanks,