cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM SKU Withdrawals

What is best practice when IBM withdraws a SKU and replaces with another one.  Customer has not changed anything about the licensing or use of the product and all the applications underneath the entitlement.   The problem is,  if the old SKU is replaced in Flexera, several applications are missing from the original SKU.  This causes issues with consumption.  Application that is in use is no longer part of the entitlement - no consumption.   Should we add the missing application to the new SKU (which seems  incorrect) or do we keep the old SKU in play (which also seems incorrect).  I'm leaning toward the old SKU because as previously stated NOTHING has changed with the use of the product besides the SKU from IBM - well and with the SKU change the slight change to included applications.

(1) Solution

@shelby_day 

I'm not an IBM licensing expert, but in general when IBM withdraws a SKU in your Passport Advantage contract and replaces it with another SKU, it may involve a process of license entitlement migration. The specifics can vary depending on the terms of your contract and the specific agreements made with IBM, so it's essential to review your contract and consult with your IBM representative or legal team for precise details. I would also in general recommend that no matter which approach you take make sure to keep thorough records of the migration process, including all communications, agreements, etc.

I would really appreciate if others with IBM licensing expertise to chime in with more specific recommendations.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

(2) Replies

@shelby_day 

I'm not an IBM licensing expert, but in general when IBM withdraws a SKU in your Passport Advantage contract and replaces it with another SKU, it may involve a process of license entitlement migration. The specifics can vary depending on the terms of your contract and the specific agreements made with IBM, so it's essential to review your contract and consult with your IBM representative or legal team for precise details. I would also in general recommend that no matter which approach you take make sure to keep thorough records of the migration process, including all communications, agreements, etc.

I would really appreciate if others with IBM licensing expertise to chime in with more specific recommendations.

Thanks,

Appreciate your response and it makes perfect sense on paper.  Unfortunately for our environment, I had to revert back to the original SKUs and allow Flexera re-create the licenses again.  I then attach the old POs as reference only.  We've got a number of licenses that have either changed SKU or names over the years and it's very confusing.