cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarifying questions for IT Asset Requests

Not sure if this should be posted in Flexera One Forum or the App Broker Forum, but I have a few questions for an upcoming IT Asset Requests implementation that don't seem to be answered in any documentation hoping I could get some clarification on. 

1. If a customer has a UAT and a Production instance of IT Asset Requests and needs to copy data from one to the other, can the customer do that on their own or would they need to open a ticket with Flexera to get this done?

2. I've been told before that the following fields can be synced from IT Asset Requests to ServiceNow when SN is used as the front end, when it comes to catalog item details - Title, Descriptions, Icon and Deployment Configuration. We are also wondering if any additional fields can be synced over, primarily Notes and Special Approvers? 

3. When IT Asset Requests is eventually upgraded, how are customized workflows handled? Are there any steps that need to be taken by the customer to ensure continuity? 

4. Is Reverse DNS an option for discovery as it is with App Broker?

Thanks!

(1) Reply

@a_cutler2 wrote:

1. If a customer has a UAT and a Production instance of IT Asset Requests and needs to copy data from one to the other, can the customer do that on their own or would they need to open a ticket with Flexera to get this done?

There is no option to copy data from one instance to another.  If you are just looking to replicate the same catalog items in both environments, there are API's available for catalog item creation.  I would recommend setting up a CSV or Excel file containing the metadata for the catalog items and then use a script to create the same catalog items in both environments.  Of course if each environment is connected to a different SCCM environment, you'll need to adjust those parameters accordingly.

@a_cutler2 wrote:

2. I've been told before that the following fields can be synced from IT Asset Requests to ServiceNow when SN is used as the front end, when it comes to catalog item details - Title, Descriptions, Icon and Deployment Configuration. We are also wondering if any additional fields can be synced over, primarily Notes and Special Approvers? 

I don't know what you mean by "deployment configuration".  All the standard properties that you can configure in the catalog items within the admin UI (or via API) will be synced to ServiceNow.  IT Asset Requests does not have an option for custom fields, so "Notes" and "Special Approvers" do not exist.  There is no way to customize the sync process between IT Asset Requests and ServiceNow.

@a_cutler2 wrote:

3. When IT Asset Requests is eventually upgraded, how are customized workflows handled? Are there any steps that need to be taken by the customer to ensure continuity? 

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  There are no workflows in IT Asset Requests.  You have the ability to request software and have it installed (with or without a license check).  There are no approvals or other workflow elements in IT Asset Requests.  If you're talking about within ServiceNow, you generally won't need to "reapply" an update set once you have the integration set up.  If there is a need to apply a revised update set, Engineering will need to provide documentation on how it should be applied.  For reference, even though the update set for App Broker on-prem has been updated a few times, there has never been a need to apply a newer version of the update set to an existing implementation.

@a_cutler2 wrote:

4. Is Reverse DNS an option for discovery as it is with App Broker?

There is no "discovery" in IT Asset Requests.  The devices associated with the logged in user are pulled from SCCM.  If the user has no associated devices, they will not be able to request software through IT Asset Requests until a device has been associated in SCCM.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".
Top Kudoed Authors