cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lcfernandez
Level 4

FlexLM License position with FNMS (Business Adaptor)

Jump to solution

Hi all!

What we want is to know what is the peak of use por each product each day of a product controlled by FlexLM. 

The use of FNMEA was discarded, the client only wanted to control one provider. FNMEA is a very good product will a lot of functionalities but not needed in the actual business case.

So we want to connect to FlexLM to recoverthe maximum peak of concurrent users in a day. For that our current approach is to analyse the logs  (normal or Debug) of FlexLM to generate this information. Has FlexLM an API ?. How is the best approach?.

The logs tells that the only only way is with FNMEA.

21:12:26 (lmgrd) -----------------------------------------------
21:12:26 (lmgrd) Please Note:
21:12:26 (lmgrd)
21:12:26 (lmgrd) This log is intended for debug purposes only.
21:12:26 (lmgrd) In order to capture accurate license
21:12:26 (lmgrd) usage data into an organized repository,
21:12:26 (lmgrd) please enable report logging. Use Flexera Software LLC's
21:12:26 (lmgrd) software license administration solution,
21:12:26 (lmgrd) FlexNet Manager, to readily gain visibility
21:12:26 (lmgrd) into license usage data and to create
21:12:26 (lmgrd) insightful reports on critical information like
21:12:26 (lmgrd) license availability and usage. FlexNet Manager
21:12:26 (lmgrd) can be fully automated to run these reports on
21:12:26 (lmgrd) schedule and can be used to track license
21:12:26 (lmgrd) servers and usage across a heterogeneous
21:12:26 (lmgrd) network of servers including Windows NT, Linux
21:12:26 (lmgrd) and UNIX. Contact Flexera Software LLC at
21:12:26 (lmgrd) www.flexerasoftware.com for more details on how to
21:12:26 (lmgrd) obtain an evaluation copy of FlexNet Manager
21:12:26 (lmgrd) for your enterprise.
21:12:26 (lmgrd)
21:12:26 (lmgrd) -----------------------------------------------

Thank you very much.

(1) Solution

@lcfernandez , Apologies for the delay in getting back to you (i was away). I concur with @wmarek1  and his inputs.

I am attaching the FNP-11.13 documentation, but it may not be useful for you/ESRI as the functionality for Server diagnostics was added in FNP-11.17 itself. To avail this functionality, ESRI would need to upgrade their implementation to FNP-11.17 (at least). If not, then FNMS seems only available way to help debrief the reportlog and help with analysis of usages statistics.

(If my response assists with your questions , then please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" or 'Kudos' so that it help others.)

View solution in original post

(6) Replies
aparashar1
Flexera Alumni

@lcfernandez , in the Flexnet Publisher logs there will be periodic entries about peak load of clients on the server. That could be of help at times.

Starting FNP-11.17, Flexnet Publisher has introduced the diagnostics functionality (enabled by default) that can help capture the checkout and checkin time and other details. The diagnostics details can be stored in excel, csv format and later used to prepare charts/diagrams using 3rd party applications.

The detailed documentation about this functionality is provided under Product Documents.

I really believe that you should explore the possibilities through latest introduced "server diagnostics functionality" and confirm if that helps.

(If my response assists with your questions , then please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" or 'Kudos' so that it help others.)
0 Kudos
Sorry @aparashar1,

The client is running a previsus version FlexNet Licensing (v11.13.1.5 build 183191 i86_n3). I don´t have access as partner to the documentarion of Flexera Publisher (Flexlm), can you provide the link to this documentation.
0 Kudos

@lcfernandez , i have attached the FNP-11.17 documentation for your reference. In "FlexNet Publisher 2020 R2 (11.17.0) Programming Reference for License File–Based Licensing" there is th section which talk in details about this. (Page # 31).

0 Kudos

We need the documentation of 11.13, the client is using that version with Esri, it´s  no possible to upgrade the product.

wmarek1
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi lcfernandez,

I'm afraid that what you are looking for is not available. The license server Report Log is the only source of data that would accurately provide the data for the report you are looking for. There is no API for a non-software publisher to use get at that data. Only FlexNet Manager for Engineering Applications can access the Report Logs.

You submitted your question to a software producer forum for FlexNet Publisher so @aparashar1 responded as if you are a developer. His suggestion to use server diagnostics would only apply to ESRI or other software producers.

The only FlexNet Publisher document available to software consumers is the FlexNet Publisher License Administrator's Guide. You can get that from your software vendor.

BTW, FNP v11.13 is very old and went out of support in 2017. It will be completely sunsetted in Nov this year.

FlexNet Operations, FlexNet Embedded, FlexNet Publisher, FlexNet Connect, FlexLM
0 Kudos

@lcfernandez , Apologies for the delay in getting back to you (i was away). I concur with @wmarek1  and his inputs.

I am attaching the FNP-11.13 documentation, but it may not be useful for you/ESRI as the functionality for Server diagnostics was added in FNP-11.17 itself. To avail this functionality, ESRI would need to upgrade their implementation to FNP-11.17 (at least). If not, then FNMS seems only available way to help debrief the reportlog and help with analysis of usages statistics.