cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knitz64
Level 2

Analysing License Usage using SPLUNK

Hello,

how is it possible to fetch the current given licenses of the Flexera LMTools?
Using the "lmborrow -status" information does not show actual borrowed licenses.
The LMTOOLS (list current borrowed features) does not provide actual values.
The Debug - Logfile does not provide actual values.
Values in the Debug-Log may appear after some time (4-6 hours)

I would like to indentify the amount of licenses which are currently borrowed (or in use) by time.
The license itself have a value i.e. 50 seats..... but it is not possible to identify how many licenses are in use.

Using SPLUNK ... can fetch the Debug-Log and can analyse "OUT&IN" .... but "IN" comes late so it is not accurate. Second ... a user may fetch multiple times on a license per day (or hour). Statistic-wise I like to make visible how many licenses are in avg use....
If license user are gobally working accross the globe means it need to be considered that i.e. ASIA -users are possible not same time using licenses as US/LATAM -users ... so the amount of total license - seats is smaller than the amount of users.
Due to that SPLUNK can ONLY fetch from the Debug - Log (i.e. get & eval users: "OUT"; "IN" or "DENIED") I am able to extract it into a i.e. daily view as a sum.
But I don't see the amount of unused license seats. At what level (out of a 50 seats license) the Flexera License Manager will refuse license requests?
Can I block an amout of license - seats? i.e. the license (.lic -file) contains the information how many licenses are valid/provided. Let's say 50 with incremential information. Is it possible to modify (down-size) a running lic-file (let's say: to 25 seats) to get out of the license manager debug - log the value when it starts to deny license - requests?

If you have a better idea.... let me know.

BR,
Kai 

0 Kudos
(3) Replies
ChrisG
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I think your questions here are most closely related to the FlexNet Publisher product from Flexera. Posting in the FlexNet Publisher forum may connect you with people who are knowledgeable in this area.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
0 Kudos
JohnSorensenDK
Moderator Moderator

@knitz64 

I'll transfer this thread to the FlexNet Publisher queue.

Besides doing this I would also recommend that you consider leveraging FlexNet Manager for Engineering Applications to make use of the report logs (instead of the debug logs) as they contain the granularity needed to do the reporting you're looking for.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
aparashar1
Flexera Alumni

@knitz64 , kindly raise a support case with concerned Software Provider, so that it could get analyzed properly.

Given the extent of observations (where even the basic observation seems to be in fault), this may not be best assessed through the community posts. Hence i would strongly recommend raising a support case with the vendor.

(If my response assists with your questions , then please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" or 'Kudos' so that it help others.)
0 Kudos