Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KVM Inventory on RHEV-H

mag00_75
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion

Hi

We use the RHEV-H images/appliances and our Linux team are not so keen on running third party tools on the hypervisor. Even with the new 2019r2 agent the virtual machines will be computer if we don't inventory the hypervisor.

What ways have you all implemented to solve KVM/RHEV virtualisation to get the VMHosts and Virtual Servers? 

(4) Replies

Hi @mag00_75 

I don't believe it's been tested but I'm inclined to think that RHEV wont't work.  This is because typically RHEV-H uses the Virtual Desktop Server Manager (VDSM) which from research online requires libvirt to be disabled and our new KVM support relies on libvirt 0.2.3 and above to be installed.

This is why I don't think it will work and would require a separate enhancement to support VDSM specifically however as I stated above, I don't believe this has been tested.

Hope this helps.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.

RHEV is based on libvirt (implemented via oVirt) - I think it would work fine.

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/2074033

“Things are only impossible until they are not.”
― Jean-Luc Picard

Though, as Matt said - it may not and I think it would be worthwhile to try it.

“Things are only impossible until they are not.”
― Jean-Luc Picard

@ccrawford ,

That was my initial thoughts however when I looked at RHEV-H this is the hypervisor mode of RHEV which uses VDSM and for VDSM to work you have to disable libvert which is why I suspect it won't work.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.