cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I noticed, when an inventory device name was changed

Hi

today I noticed that I have a lot of these entries for one inventroy device:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19.09.2019 06:47:07 DOMAIN\FLEXADM Inventory device name was changed from Server_02 to Server_01
19.09.2019 06:47:07 DOMAIN\FLEXADM IP Address was changed from 10.10.10.2 to 10.10.10.1
19.09.2019 03:48:12 DOMAIN\FLEXADM Inventory device name was changed from Server_01 to Server_02
19.09.2019 03:48:12 DOMAIN\FLEXADM IP Address was changed from 10.10.10.1 to 10.10.10.2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked the log of the IIS and saw that both server were sending a NDI.GZ file with:
<Hardware Class="Win32_ComputerSystemProduct" Name="VMware Virtual Platform" Evidence="WMI">
<Property Name="IdentifyingNumber" Value="VMware-42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49"/>
<Property Name="Name" Value="VMware Virtual Platform"/>
<Property Name="UUID" Value="ABCDF-123456789-A1B2C3"/>
<Property Name="Vendor" Value="VMware, Inc."/>
<Property Name="Version" Value="None"/>
</Hardware>
Both server has the same IdentifyingNumber and UUID. I know that is not correct and I can ask the OS team.

But "How can I noticed, when an inventory device name was changed"?

I don't like to open 1000 server to check the history.

The alert "Alert is Serial number is not unique" show nothing, is there a report or SQL query find that out?

Regards

(4) Replies

@Tooling42 

I would recommend you to follow the guidelines outlined in the 'Duplicate serial numbers' section (beginning page 169) in  https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/PDF%20Documents/Cloud/GatheringFlexNetInventory.pdf

Thanks,

@John
Thank you. I checked also the document.

1) The alert with the filter "Serial number is not unique"
shows no devices with the name of the server.

2) In the inventory database the numeric ComputerID for Server_01 and Server_02 is not the same.

My expectation was that the alert would show me these device(s) with the filter "Serial number is not unique" .
For me it's ok now and will use the query.

@Tooling42 

Hi.

As you have access to the database, I would recommend access the audit tables with a query (ideally filtered for a specific subset of results on device changes as the table can be rather large.)

Attached you will find a example of such a query - SAM Objects Historical changes

@Nico_Erasmus 
Thanks a lot for your help.
Your post and a little bit of testing in the database shows that this query is the solution what I need.

SELECT TOP 1000 [ComplianceHistoryID]
,[ComplianceComputerID]
,[ComplianceHistoryTypeID]
,[FieldName]
,[OldValue]
,[NewValue]
,[UserName]
,[HistoryDate]
,[Comments]
,[TenantID]
FROM [FNMSCompliance].[dbo].[ComplianceHistory_MT]
WHERE [TenantID] = '3' and
[ComplianceHistoryTypeID] ='3' and
[FieldName] = 'ComputerName' and
[OldValue] <> [NewValue]

Now I found also devices as [OldValue] which are disappeared.