cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNMS Agent support for AIX versions

We are running 2019 R1 and are looking to deploy FNMS agent to AIX servers running in our environment.

On reviewing the 2019 R1 release notes I noticed that only 7.x is supported but on reviewing the 2017 R2 release notes that 5.x, 6.x and 7.1 are all supported.

We are running 5, 6 and 7 on our environment. 

Should we attempt to deploy the 2019 agent to the AIX servers running 5.x and 6.x or is it a better approach to deploy the older 2017 R2 agent to just those servers reporting back to the 2019 R1 beacon?

Thanks

Craig

(6) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Craig,

There might be a chance that, although no longer officially supported, the newer agent still works. Maybe do a little pilot and test it on a few machines.

If you want to play it safe, go with the older agent.

Best regards,

Markward

Thanks - that was the strategy we have being discussing.

Hi,

Sorry to jump into your conversation, but I'm in the same situation, I have in the customer environment a lot of old AIX version. After you install the agent on the server, will the agent do the upgrade to the latest version, If they are authorized in the FNMS 2019 R1?

For example in my environment, regardless of what agent we use, they will update to the latest version.

Adrian Ritz

Hi Adrian,

With the latest release (2019 R1) you should be able to manage this behaviour to som eextent:

2019-08-06_13h51_46.png

Have you checked your inventory settings?

Best regards,

Markward

Hi Markward,

I'm aware of this settings, but I want to do something like:

All AIX 7 to be updated automatically to the new version FNMS 2019 R1

All AIX 5 and 6 to remain on the old agent version.

If I authorize the AIX, all version will be updated.

Would be nice to have such a setting, or to target machines or subnets and authorize them for upgrade.

Like machine x,y,z will remain on old agent version, and machines a.b,c,d, etc will be upgraded automatically.

On update on this...

FNMS 2019 R1 agent worked on 6.x but not 5.x.

Feedback from Flexera was that  product management will not certify against EOL products which is the case with versions 5.x and 6.x of AIX. They do suggest to use the agent that last supported AIX 5.x and 6.x, the 2017 R2 agent.

Craig