cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core Based License

We have a product that is licensed on cores. It is not a Microsoft product.   I am trying to define the license in the system.  The only options I see are Core Points, Cores-Limited, and Microsoft Server core.   What is the right type I must use. I am unable to understand Core Points, and Microsoft Server Core definition seems ok.  But as I mentioned, its not a Microsoft product.  What should I do?  Please help.

(1) Solution

This depends on the license rules for your specific product.  It is licensed based on 1 license consumed for every core, or is there a different ratio (such as 1 license consumed for every 2 cores)?

You can set this on the license by setting the license type to Core Points, and then selecting the point rule (Each core equals 1 point, 2 cores equals 1 point, etc.) 

And then in the Use Rights, you may have to adjust the rules for when the product is installed on a virtual computer.  Is it just based on the virtual cores of the computer, or do you have to calculate based on the physical cores of the host?

Hopefully, this gives you some guidance for setting up the license. 

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

This depends on the license rules for your specific product.  It is licensed based on 1 license consumed for every core, or is there a different ratio (such as 1 license consumed for every 2 cores)?

You can set this on the license by setting the license type to Core Points, and then selecting the point rule (Each core equals 1 point, 2 cores equals 1 point, etc.) 

And then in the Use Rights, you may have to adjust the rules for when the product is installed on a virtual computer.  Is it just based on the virtual cores of the computer, or do you have to calculate based on the physical cores of the host?

Hopefully, this gives you some guidance for setting up the license. 

Thanks. This clarifies. It is just number of cores.  Physical or Virtual.  So mapping it to one core point helps.   What is the difference between Core Points and  MS Server Core?  Now I think MS Server Core is just a specialized case of Core Point. 

Yes, the Microsoft Server Core has some special rules as defined by Microsoft, such as a minimum of 8 licenses must be consumed for each processor.  For example, if there is a server with 2 processors and each processor only has 4 core, a minimum of 16 core licenses are needed (2 processors times a minimum of 8).  And for certain editions of Windows Server, consumption is against the Physical Host for virtual machines.

This has been helpful. Thank you!