cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Architecture - How to collect only Oracle data from certain agents

Hello community,

a client has approached us with an interesting architectural question, and I am wondering if some of you have an idea on this one.

Assume that we have a big, international client, where the German organization is handling global licensing for other international organizations. Let's assume that for other vendors (Microsoft, IBM, Adobe) we are already collecting inventory information for devices in the German organization, and some other countries. The contracts with these vendors are not international. Let's assume that the contract with Oracle covers all international organizations, so now they want all, global, Oracle-related inventory information in FNMS (On Prem). However they want to gather only Oracle-related inventory in one place, whereas other vendors are not tracked centrally in one FNMS.

The challenge now is to gather only Oracle inventory information internationally; or to still gather inventory for all vendors internationally, but to process Oracle inventory information only in case of non-German international orgs.

Some solutions I can think of would not apply: 1) Create additional Flexera systems for international organizations (they want at least the Oracle related inventory info in one place). 2) Deploy beacons for international organizations and somehow automatically edit the delivered NDI inventory files (too much work, to imprecise).

Thoughts?

(4) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Another approach would be to import all the data into the main system and then use License Restrictions to limit consumption to specific parts of the company.

dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Is your client concerned about having all the inventory in a single FNM instance? If not, then I agree with @mfranz and I would have your agents send all data to the main FNM instance and then only create licenses for the Oracle software, as well as, restrict to business units or locations that should be consuming. 

If your client only wants Oracle inventory data in Flexera I am not sure what option you would have besides editing the NDI files before ingest as you suggested.

mag00_75
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion
Hi

First of all its fully working to mix both international and local contracts/inventory in one Flexera instance and a good strategy would be to have more international contracts over time. Having several Flexera based on Publishers is not a good solution, how can you ensure you get all Oracle inventory internationally.

There are a possibility to remote inventory oracle based on OEM data, but you can never trust that OEM have all DB instances in an international organisation. You would also need hypervisor data, maybe your client is deploying oracle in containers or cloud.

Thank you, will relay this to the customer to garner their feedback.