cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ProductManager
Level 6

Update Service with XP SP2 RC2

First would like to note, working with Update Service 2.2, becuase there are too many issues with 3.0, so have to stay on 2.2.

Now, I continued some testing today with SP2 RC2, which was updated this month by microsoft. I am seeing a couple things consistently, and was wondering if anyone else has started XP SP2 RC2 testing.

First if no update is found, the dialog just goes away, no longer get the "no updates found" and click finsih to close. This is everytime, no matter what, so this has to be an issue.

Second thing I'm finding, which is more distirbing, is if there is a update, it takes on average 5-6 check for updates for it to display. We have a button on our toolbar and also shortcut on startmenu. I have to select them like 5-6 times before one finally chatches and shows update. The number of times before it finally grabs is not consistent. I might get 2 clicks of the button in a row work.. then 6 clicks of nothing, then 7th would say there is update.

Anyone have any input? I can say that RC2 is deffiantely got some improvements from RC1, becuase our installs didn't even work on RC1, and now they do.

If I can figure out this US problem, we might be in the clear.

Thoughts??
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Xcygnus1
Level 2

I'm running XP SP2 v2149 and no problems with lag in update check...it comes right up every time with all the update info included.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

We tested the Beta, RC 2, and the released Windows XP service pack 2 with the firewall on and we didn't encounter any issues. We run over port 80, so we're not affected by the firewall problems that other applications are having.

You may, however, encounter problems like the ones you've mentioned if your browser security settings are set to "high". The "high" setting disables both Active X and scripting. Windows XP Service Pack 2 does not raise the browser security to this level.
0 Kudos