cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Few Questions

1. Will an update be able to uninstall itself.
i.e User installs the update. ( Some problem crops up). He should be able to uninstall it from the Add and remove programs. For this before the update installs itself it must create a backup list of files it would be replacing somewhere and restore to those files if the user chooses to uninstall. Will update service be able to do this?

2. Does my application need to compile with the install shield update service libraries (SDK) to use the menu option "Check for updates".
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
KellyF
Level 9

Originally posted by nat2k4us
1. Will an update be able to uninstall itself.
i.e User installs the update. ( Some problem crops up). He should be able to uninstall it from the Add and remove programs. For this before the update installs itself it must create a backup list of files it would be replacing somewhere and restore to those files if the user chooses to uninstall. Will update service be able to do this?

This is actually a function of your installation authoring tool. You would build your install/update with whatever features are available from your tool (ie. backup files). You then use the Update Service to make that update package available to your customers and ensure that they can receive the update.
2. Does my application need to compile with the install shield update service libraries (SDK) to use the menu option "Check for updates".

Check out the Update Service help docs under section: "Invoking the Update Service Using a Menu Item or Toolbar Button"
Your menu handler can invoke the agent application directly or use a COM invocation. If you use COM, then yes, you'll need to include the reference in your application (ie reference in Visual Studio for early binding). If you invoke the agent, then no you need not compile with the libraries.

KellyF
0 Kudos