cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nayula
Level 3

Silent update

Hi all,
I want to deliver frequent updates, without the "hassle" of user-interface (choosing update, confirmation, clicking next, etc...)

something that will behave like the "live update" of Norton Antivirus, in a way that there will be an indication in the program itself, and clicking on a button will download and install the most current update.

can i do that in installshield 10.5 ?

Thanks
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

I believe this is possible with the "full" version of the Update Service, but not with the "Starter Edition" that's included with IS 10.5.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
nayula
Level 3

We do have the professional edition, and we're using it to update our product every once in few weeks.

as from now on, we're going to publish an update every two-three days, and don't want to trouble the users with the existing update process (which is a bit cumbersome 🙂 )

i think i was unclear, so let me rephrase my question - can i use the update service to notify my customers about an update, and all they have to do is to click "install now" (like in windows update, not norton's...) ?

Thanks, Yaniv.
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

Yes, if you are using the full version of the Update Service, or the Starter Edition that's included in InstallShield Premier (but not the Starter Edition that's included in IS Professional) you can publish updates where users can simply click "install" to launch the update.
If you want to make that update itself install silently, then you can simply remove (or condition) any dialogs in the update installer (patch or whatever format you are using to the update package).
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
FPSStephen
Level 2

If you have a client-server network, and you want to update the server automaticly, without user intevention, can this be done with the pro version of Update Service?

What are the steps for doing this?

Stephen
0 Kudos
installer-build
Level 2

I was wondering how to remove the dialogs from a Patch that in terms of the install silently?

Thanks,
Al
0 Kudos
FPSStephen
Level 2

Use this syntax:

update /s /v"/qn REINSTALL=All REINSTALLMODE=omus"

The above parameters turn off the interface and runs the update in the background.

Stephen
0 Kudos