Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avesty
Level 3

Machine profile reports

Hello,

I'm attempting to use the machine profiling reports. According to the help:

"The Machine Profile report is only available if you have written to the agent APIs to capture profile data with the Update Service. For more information, see the IProfileList Interface and IProfile Interface APIs."

IProfileList and IProfile have pitiful documentation, so i'm wondering if there is a sample anywhere that could show which/how API's to call in order to enable machine profile reporting. (c++ if possible).

Thanks,

Vesty.
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Dim oProfile As DWUpdateServiceLib.IProfileManager
Dim oAgent As DWUpdateServiceLib.Agent
Dim sProductCode As String

sProductCode = "{INSERT-YOUR-GUID-HERE-FFFFFFFFFFFF}"

'Get an agent object
Set oProfile = New DWUpdateServiceLib.Agent

'Add a profile like say, the Windows version
oProfile.ProfileAdd sProductCode, "WindowsVersion", 0

'Add a value to the profile, like the version
oProfile.ProfileSetValue sProductCode, "WindowsVersion", "Version", "XP-Home"

'Add another value to the profile, like the Service Pack
oProfile.ProfileSetValue sProductCode, "WindowsVersion", "ServicePack", "2"

'Get another agent object
Set oAgent = New DWUpdateServiceLib.Agent

'Checking for updates sends the data.
oAgent.AppUpdate sProductCode, AppMenu
0 Kudos
avesty
Level 3

Ah.... So I have to collect the data myself? As in, its up to me to determine OS version etc? It may be my lack of VB but thats what it looks like. I had assumed the agent must collect that...
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

You read it right. Making you get the data gives you the flexibility to gather whatever data you deem appropriate. If only the reporting on that data was as flexible (sigh).
0 Kudos
avesty
Level 3

Great thanks tx.

So how do I know which values the reporting will pick up on? Or does it just recognised whatever values/data I store and then transmit?

ie, you've used service pack and OS there, can I use whatever labels I want or do they have to be specific ones?
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

You can put anything you want.

I'd play with sending some interesting data and look at the reporting a bit and see how the data is presented. This will give you an idea of the best way to collect the data for your needs.

HTH
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

We've heard. 😄 We've got a lot of things going on for the future, but I can tell you that there will be a slightly more flexible way to query on that data with the next release. Stay tuned.

KellyF

PS. Any posts by me which contain "forward looking" statements as defined by the SEC are, in fact, simply opinions of mine, not my employer.

Originally posted by txbueller
You read it right. Making you get the data gives you the flexibility to gather whatever data you deem appropriate. If only the reporting on that data was as flexible (sigh).
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Kelly,

Don't you mean SEC? 😉

Oh, not to be too sarcastic (I'm trying to hold back - really!) but it's nice to see a post responded to by IS/MacroVision folk. I've posted on a couple of troubling issues and I've heard nothing but .

This is different than in the past when it seemed like staff were very active on the boards. Is this perhaps a function of the transition period from the acquisition?
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

heh... that's what I get for reading about AT&T hopping into VoIP and what carriers and the FCC think about it... 😄

About the community and responses by IS/Macrovision folks, I handed over the maintenance duties so it'd no longer be as easy for me to pull a report on postings and numbers per month, etc. 😆

So I'll have to say that perception is reality and hopefully we can change those perceptions. I can tell you that I know of many devs and support folks who do traverse the forums, but don't necessarily respond to all posts.

KellyF

Originally posted by txbueller
Kelly,

Don't you mean SEC? 😉

Oh, not to be too sarcastic (I'm trying to hold back - really!) but it's nice to see a post responded to by IS/MacroVision folk. I've posted on a couple of troubling issues and I've heard nothing but .

This is different than in the past when it seemed like staff were very active on the boards. Is this perhaps a function of the transition period from the acquisition?
0 Kudos
avesty
Level 3

Thanks v much TX
0 Kudos