Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Internet Communication Error

I am new to the ISUS, so this could be a stupid question. 🙂

But I can't get the update to work. I always get the message "An internet communication error occured". This happens when I tried to display a message from the website, Testing topic. And also when I call the Agent from my application (using the COM interface). I don't know what I'm doing wrong !?

I'm behind a firewall but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Bye,
Jan Louws
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

The firewall shouldn't matter. Our only system requirement is IE4.01 or later on the machine. If you have proxy settings in IE, the ISUS will use them.

Assuming you have IE4.01 or later, try the easiest call...

Call IsConnected(). That tries to connect to our server. Let me know if that works.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

I managed to get it working. This is how:

First I tried a call to the IsConnected method. This was unsuccesfull. Second I checked my proxy settings, because you sad it will use these settings. We use a proxy, but it needs no settings in IE (v6 with XP). In the settings of IE the checkbox "Automatic obtain IE settings" was not checked. I checked this box and everything worked !!!!! IE kept working and I was able to connect to the update service.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

I've got another question:
Is it possible to deploy and install an update without a question from to the user? This because our users have a maintanence contract and they tend to click No when asked to download and install an update. We want to update the application automatically to keep the application always up-to-date.

Is this possible?

Bye,
Jan Louws
IMA ICT B.V.
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

Possible, but not recommended. Let me explain...

It is possible. The ISUS has a completely silent API interface. The ISUS can download and install an update without a question to the user.

No recommended. If your update replaces a file in use by your application, the installer will want to reboot. You can have your update supress the reboot. But you may end-up in a scenario where half your application has been updated, and half has not been updated. The success/failure of a completely silent update has much to do with your application and if it can be updated when someone is using it.
0 Kudos