cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NealC804
Level 8

Discussion: How much is ISUS worth to you?

It looks like my ISUS days are coming to an end and I'm going to roll my own. The price Macrovision wants for ISUS is just insane in my opinion. I called today to inquire as to what my 10,000 user tier would cost to renew and they stated $3600/year! 5,000 users would be $2400, 25,000 users $7200'ish?

How much do you think Tier 3 (10,000 users) should cost? I can see maybe $1200-1500/year, but nothing more then that! I pay this amount for other server level subscriptions, but this pricing is just off the mark in my opinion. I invite your opinion is for the worth of ISUS for a small-to-mid size business.
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
NealC804
Level 8

One suggestion to maybe ease the burden (cost) on small biz's.

As of now you have essentially two versions of ISUS: FREE and Professional. My suggestion is to give us something in between.

How many of you (ISUS users here) use the reporting or could live without it? How many use the messaging? I personally only use Products and Versions and use the service to push out updates. I want the API use (background checking) so I need the Pro version as it stands now, but if I had the option for a $1200 Tier 3 Standard Edition annual subscription which was a scaled down Pro version, I'd be interested. In my goal of being fiscally responsible I cannot shell out $3600/year to essentially compensate my laziness when I can brew up this type of functionality with an XML ping against my web site or web services to do what I need. I like what Macrovision has accomplished, I simply cannot justify the cost.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
neildavidson
Level 6

The problem with switching it off is that your old users will still need to access the update service until they've all upgraded to your own solution. We replaced it in most products with our own solution but we can't switch off ISUS yet.

By the way, just so everybody knows about the kind of service InstallShield provide, I got a call at 3pm yesterday saying our subscription would expire this morning. Of course, the phone number I was left to call was engaged for the rest of the afternoon so InstallShield have just shut us down. Pretty shoddy. As if they hadn't done enough to persuade us to can the service. Bear in mind that we've paid them tens of thousands of dollars for this 'service' over the past 3 years.

In a way I'm kind of impressed. The switching costs of leaving ISUS are pretty high - once people are on it it's hard for them to move off. It must take some pretty intensive and active efforts for a company to screw things up this badly, but hey, they've managed. Well done guys!
0 Kudos
NealC804
Level 8

Neil,

I'm with you all the way! When using the "service" I'm not so sure how effective it is/was. The latest with 404 errors, the "intermittent" service disabled messages when checking for updates, on and on. It's a real shame as people have put a lot of work into this system and I would like to continue seeing it evolve. However, if this seed is not sewn properly, it will not survive. For SMB's to pay $3,600 a year, it's just priced way beyond comprehension. We don't need support, it should work! We don't need a lot that this has, we need an "update service."

Fortunately I am integrating my own solution about 60 days prior to expiration so hopefully I can get everyone moved off of ISUS. At the worst, they'll check the web site, see my version info page, get the latest version, and be done with it.

Lastly, with the new "additions" feature in ISUS 5, I believe they are now pushing people to bad installation practices! I know it's their effort to compete with Click-Once deployment in .NET 2, but just not what I'd believe Macrovision should be promoting! Nor have I yet to see any "white papers" or case studies on how something like this should be used, hence they aren't even selling their own features.

Regardless, I'm done with ISUS. I do NOT recommend it, and it's just too easy to roll your own these days, don't waste your money, many thousands of it! Take two days and write your own, it will work much better!
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

I ask anyone who has issues with the service to please contact your product consultant so that Macrovision (as a company) can respond and try to better your situation. As this is a forum for users, much like the old newsgroups, the business folks do not follow what happens here. I'm certain they would like to know of your issues.

Neil,
While I would hope that the service folks would have been more diligent with the notifications, I do not believe they disabled your account. Could you please PM me your username on the publisher site so I can check the logs for any activities?

Neal,
I'm sorry to hear that you are upset with the service and do not wish to continue. If there were a tier that only offered update capabilities and was priced low, would that have been more of what you were looking for? Did you send your desired feature set & what you felt it was worth to the feedback mechanism? (If you did not, please send it via feedback to TrentW so he knows what you, as a customer, desire)

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
neildavidson
Level 6

Kelly,

Thank you for the reply.

That's part of the problem. You personally are an obvious exception, but Macrovision as a company clearly *don't* want to know about of any of the issues and are definitely *not* willing to help. Just take a look at some of the other forum posts.

KellyF wrote:
... the business folks do not follow what happens here

Exactly.

- Neil
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

When I indicated that business persons don't visit here, it's because the posts here are not intended for Macrovision support. This forum was intended as an outlet for users to speak with other users about ideas, techniques, etc. The company does track the support service requests quite a bit because it's an internal system and lends itself to analysis and metrics. The forums are not easy to track and follow up on things, and therefore are not considered as "official" support channels.

That's the primary reason why I always push persons with strong feelings to submit them in ways that feed into the internal systems. 🙂

Regards,
Kelly

neildavidson wrote:
Kelly,
Thank you for the reply.
That's part of the problem. You personally are an obvious exception, but Macrovision as a company clearly *don't* want to know about of any of the issues and are definitely *not* willing to help. Just take a look at some of the other forum posts.
Exactly.
- Neil
0 Kudos