cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NealC804
Level 8

Total Users Counter is Inaccurate - Disregard it!

After discussion with Macrovision regarding what they show as "Total Users" (that meter on the ISUS web site) it is inaccurate and misleading! A few months back I put code in so only registered users of my software would be registered with the update agent to prevent from busting out the top of my tier, and after I was called by then InstallShield for exceeding my tier. I implemented the code on my major applications and saw no change! Come to find out, that counter NEVER comes back down, it only goes up! If you have code at the end of your installation such as I do to check for updates at the end of the installation, the user will increment the counter. When my software runs is when they are unregistered from the update agent.

The more accurate way to see your user numbers is to run a report such as monthly or quarterly. This will give you an accurate representation of who is actually using your software AND should be the information Macrovision uses to better represent your tier.

So don't worry about that meter, in fact I wish it was gone, it's unneeded stress from misleading information and worrying about exceeding your tier!
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
KellyF
Level 9

Hello Neal,

The meter is nothing more than a count of unique endpoints that have connected to the servers since the beginning of your license. It will be reset at zero once your license is renewed. You are correct in that the agent and servers only see the connection and do not differentiate whether your user was evaluation or paid customer.

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
NealC804
Level 8

Thanks Kelly! When I got my warning and suggested code to unregister eval users from the update agent, I had no way to measure the success of the code change. Come to find out, the counter is not going to show the decrease so you have to run reports such as monthly. Sure enough, when I called in to inquire about renewing my service, the first thing he said was "you have 23,000 users" which is not an accurate measure to determine the tier a customer should use. Again, this counter is misleading and I hope people are not being placed in tiers based on this counter. A monthly usage report needs to be checked for a more accurate reading of a customers usage.
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Once again, much thanks on the feedback. I cannot say what changes, if any, would be made to the service. I can only say that I have heard discussions long ago when Trent came aboard. The things discussed made sense and would would allow for much flexibility.

As for the monthly / weekly reports, I agree that's how you can see the most recent usage by your customers. I'm afraid that we'll just have to agree to disagree with regard to the user gauge. Each connection does take some network utilization, does require some storage space and processing time. Unless/until something such as entitlement is handled, the service cannot differentiate between your customers and potential customers.

As always, keep the constructive criticism coming. It will only help us to improve our support of your product and your communication with customers.

Regards,
Kelly

neal007 wrote:
Thanks Kelly! When I got my warning and suggested code to unregister eval users from the update agent, I had no way to measure the success of the code change. Come to find out, the counter is not going to show the decrease so you have to run reports such as monthly. Sure enough, when I called in to inquire about renewing my service, the first thing he said was "you have 23,000 users" which is not an accurate measure to determine the tier a customer should use. Again, this counter is misleading and I hope people are not being placed in tiers based on this counter. A monthly usage report needs to be checked for a more accurate reading of a customers usage.
0 Kudos