Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Can the IS US agent pull a file without HTTP

Hi,

We're using Update Service as follows :

We're publishing 14 different messages for 14 offices and we are publishing the setup.exe to different servers at each of these locations. What we want to do is not use so many web servers, and instead point the Update Service agent to use a localfile server. We want to use a UNC path such as :

\\myserver\mypath\setup.exe

I tried putting that into the URL field of the message. Now, the agent finds the update, and then when it tries to download the setup, it fails :

Setup cannot continue because of the following error:
Unspecified error.

I assume this is because it cannot use HTTP to access the UNC.

So : is there any way at all I can do without installing 14 different web servers at each of these locations ?? Having a centralized web server and 1 message is not an option because of the load this would impose on our WAN when 1000+ users try to download the file from a single web server.

Is there a switch or parameter by which I can tell the agent that the URL is a UNC path and it should directly open the file instead of downloading using HTTP ??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamshed
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Any ideas about how to do this ?? Everybody's been very quiet here 😞
0 Kudos
crehbein
Level 3

I haven't tried from a file server, but step 2 of the "Distribute an Update" wizard, where it prompts for the URL of the update file, accepts file://\\\folder\program.exe as a URL. Dunno if you tried it, but your post didn't include a protocol scheme in the UNC path name. Maybe that's the problem?
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Thanks !!!! That worked.

I was using : \\myserver\mydir\setup.exe

while I should have been using file://\\myserver\mydir\setup.exe

After making this change, it worked just fine.

Thanks again !
Jamshed
0 Kudos