cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leifop
Level 3

Server name could not be resolved

We have a couple of customers complaining about the following (to them cryptic) error message, displayed when starting our application:

"Server name could not be resolved."

Our application checks for new updates through the Update Service at startup, and as this error message disappears when Update Service is disabled, I'd like to think that Update Service is the one to blame for this message. The error is probably due to the customers internet connection firewall settings.

My question is: We'd like Update Service to behave silently at startup, i.e. we don't want the customer to receive any such error messages automatically (we'd like to put them in a log-file instead). We use the "IsConnected" function to verify that we have a proper internet connection and expected that errors such as the one above should be caught by this function as an error return value that we could handle internally in a silent manner. This is obviously not the case. Why ?
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Paul_M_
Level 6

Unfortunately there is no way to capture the errors and write to a log file. Would it be possible to give the customers a debug version of the application and narrow down where this message is coming from. We would need to find out where the error is coming from.
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

Is this being thrown when you call IsConnected? or does IsConnected pass and something else is throwing this error?
0 Kudos
leifop
Level 3

Unfortunately, this is an error I've not being able to reproduce myself, we only have had this reported from a couple of customers. I'm therefore not able to (at least not yet) resolve whether or not it is the actual IsConnected call that triggers the error or if IsConnected returns TRUE and the error appears later.
0 Kudos