Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Agent in silent mode

Hi,

I am launching the agent from the command line "agent-exe -au -AppStart" and I want it to perform the download and update in silent mode (without a GUI). Is there a command line parameter I can use ?

Note : I cannot use the API AutoUpdate function and the bSilent parameter, I want to use the agent.exe.

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks,
Jamshed
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Paul_M_
Level 6

We do not have a command line that will run the agent silently. For more information on the available command line parameters please see the help document titled "Command Line Options"
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Thanks !

Is there a reason why this is supported through the API but not from the command line ? Are there any plans for supporting this in the future ?

Thanks again,
Jamshed
0 Kudos
Paul_M_
Level 6

I am not sure why this was not available through the command line, most likely because it would have caused confussion with users. If a user were to run a command line that didn't show any user interface then they would assume it didn't run and run it again. This cause some problems.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

But the users would never be expected to themselves run the agent and know about the product code and the parameters and all that. We (the developers) would typically include a call to the agent in our batch file before starting the real application.

Also, the InstallShield setup for our app (setup.exe) would itself support the silent mode "/s" switch so why is it not supported only in the agent ?

Furthermore, it does not make sense that a parameter is supported in the API call but not in the command line parameters, especially when the agent executable is expected to be a thin wrapper over the real API.

Somebody tell me if I am the only one who feels so.
0 Kudos