cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Data Platform User Console require Oracle Java to work?

Hi Flexera community

I don't know if Oracle Java is required with the FDP User Consle or not. I cannot find any evidences of that in Flexera documentation or I missed it. Can anyone help me to validate this? 

The main reason for this is we want to remove the Oracle Java from the entire environment to cope off with the new change in the Oracle Java license method.

The location of the Java component is C:\Program Files\BDNA\User Console\Tools\Java\bin\javaw.exe.

Please see the screenshot for the evidence from FNMS.

(1) Solution

Hi @longdinh,

I have confirmed with our engineering team that we still ship Java with Data Platform and User Console, which is in the directory you have mentioned. We do not ship Oracle Java and therefore the changes in the link you provided do not apply to Data Platform / User Console.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks, Daniel

View solution in original post

(6) Replies

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me with the current question or should I raise a ticket with Flexera? Thank you.

djudge
By Level 4 Flexeran
Level 4 Flexeran

Hi @longdinh ,

What new license method are you referring to?

Thanks, Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Here is the Oracle Java Licensing Model that I am referring here - https://www.flexera.com/blog/it-asset-management/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-oracle-java-licensing/

Thank you.

Hi @longdinh,

I have confirmed with our engineering team that we still ship Java with Data Platform and User Console, which is in the directory you have mentioned. We do not ship Oracle Java and therefore the changes in the link you provided do not apply to Data Platform / User Console.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks, Daniel

Per System Requirements (flexera.com), it is indicated that Data Platform includes Oracle JRE version 1.8.0_352. The key consideration is whether this is a bundled version of Oracle Java SE or an OpenJDK. My FDP is from an older base install and User Console indicates it uses the Public version of Oracle Java 1.8.0_158. Soon I will be doing a fresh base install and will be looking at what is actually installed. From an enterprise perspective for those who do not wish to pay the substantial fees associated with an Oracle Java SE Universal subscription, you need to either try and evict all instances of Oracle Java SE 1.8_202+ and 1.11 from your environment or document where each and every licensable JDK/JRE install came from.  FDP is a great way to find all of your Java variants. In my view 3rd party vendors such as Flexera should ship their products with an OpenJDK or provide that as a supported option in addition to a bundled point release of Oracle Java SE. 

Hello Steve

Starting with Data Platform patch 5.5.61 we do ship the OpenJDK. Please see the attached screenshot.