Best Practices for Case Submission
You may find you need help beyond community forums, our documentation and learning opportunities. Read on for case best practices.
Submitting a detailed case helps everyone act more quickly toward a resolution. So be as thorough as possible when filling out case information.
Our support cases have five key areas to complete. An optional sixth area is detailed at the end.
- Case Summary: This serves as your support case title and will appear in your email subject lines. Write titles detailing the action needed. This helps narrow the scope, so our support team can quickly triage and identify tickets.
- Description: We recommend each description includes:
- What: What is specifically happening within the system. Please try to be as specific as possible with the exact area of the system, links you've clicked, etc.
- Who: The specific user or users first and last name who have reported this problem and/or who you have noticed this problem affecting.
- When: When the request/problem happens. For instance, did it start at a certain time of day or geographic location? What was being done prior to it occurring?
- How: Detail the steps to reproduce the error. When possible, include attachment videos or screenshots of the journey.
- Why: What is the expected outcome versus what actually happens.
- Product: Please select the appropriate product to quickly route your case. Failing to select the proper product will add to the response time.
- Version: The drop-down menu will adjust based on the product you select. Please choose the version to quickly route the case.
- Severity levels: There are 4 severity levels used to classify a case:
- Severity 1 – Critical: Production use of the cloud software is stopped or so severely impacted that authorized end users cannot reasonably use it. Flexera will work continuously to resolve the support request until it is closed. Severity Level 1 issues must be reported by telephone.
- Severity 2 – High: Major cloud software documented features are unavailable with no workaround. Use of the cloud software can continue; however, productivity is significantly decreased. Flexera will work continuously to resolve the support request until it is closed. Severity Level 2 issues must be reported by telephone.
- Severity 3 – Medium: Major cloud software documented features are unavailable, but a workaround is available, or less significant cloud software documented features are unavailable with no reasonable workaround.
- Severity 4 – Low: Authorized end-user requests information about the cloud software or an enhancement to the existing cloud software specifications. Use of the cloud software is available without being materially and adversely impeded.
- Optional: end customer: Our partners use this field to detail their clients affected by the case issue.
BONUS: Case Watchers
After you create your case, you can add case watchers to the field. Case watchers receive email updates on case progress so adding key staff help keep your team apprised of progress. Details on adding case watchers are here.