cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Broker keeps reinstalling software on users computer

For application type catalog item deployed through SCCM App Broker seems to continuously reinstall the approved software on the user's computer even after they have updated to a different version of the software or uninstalled the program. Is there a setting within the catalog item or in the site settings that is prompting continuous reinstall attempts even after the program has been successfully installed once.

(2) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran
If this is an application, and if the target device is not removed from the associated install collection, then SCCM will try to install the software again.. Be sure that you have enabled collection cleanup for your catalog item(s). You can do this by selecting the "Remove from collection when complete?" checkbox under the deployment tab of your catalog item.

Additionally, you mentioned that it attempts reinstallation even if a newer version is already installed.  This leads me to believe that the application models in SCCM may not be properly configured for supersedence.  If the newer version of the application is configured to supersede the older version, then even if the device is left in the collection for the older deployment, SCCM should be smart enough to not attempt reinstallation of the older version when it finds the newer version already installed.  So while I agree with Charlie that you should enable collection cleanup on your catalog items in App Portal, you should also make sure that your packaging/deployment is done correctly in SCCM to avoid this scenario.

Of course all of this is speculating that you are using application models.  If you're using packages, then you would need to look at the rerun behavior setting on the advertisement as well as potentially modifying the packaging to detect newer versions and not install.  Again, configuring collection cleanup on the catalog item in App Portal can help, but you should also be looking at root causes.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".