cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"File Not Found" when opening a file from a directory with a space

I captured an installation of Nexxim v4.1 using Installation Monitoring. The app installs fine from my new MSI, but if I save a file to a path with a space in it (c:\temp folder\) and then try to launch the app by double clicking the file from explorer I get an error that the file is not found. The path of the file in the error window is incorrect. See attached screenshot.

If I save the file to a path with no space (c:\tempfolder\) it opens just fine. I had this problem with another app that I created. When a coworker did the same thing as me it worked fine. I'm wondering if I have a setting in InstallShield somewhere that is wrong.

Please help.
(4) Replies
What type of project you are using?
if you are using installscript then use double slash for the path as following:

c:\\temp folder\\folder\CMOS_VCO_NexximCosim.adsn
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure what you're asking. I created the MSI using installation monitoring. I then install the app using the MSI I just created. I open the app and save a file to My Documents. If I then try to go to that file in Windows Explorer and double click it to open it, I get the error. However I can successfully open the file if I first launch the app and then do a File-Open and browse to the file. Or it also works fine if the file is saved to a directory with no spaces.
Hi Randy,

I doubt that you did anything wrong...but here's what I'd recommend that you try:
- Open your ISM and go to the Components view under Organization.
- Select the component that is supposed to launch this file you're associating.
- Click on Advanced and go to File Types.
- Hopefully your file extension will appear here. If not, you may have the wrong component.
- Lastly, make sure that the "Argument" is surrounded in quotes.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Robin
Thank you Robin, that was the issue.

Does anyone know why the quotes wouldn't automatically be there? When my coworker packages an application the quotes are there for him.