cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntfs security and repair

I created a pkg which gets installed with elevated privileges (through SMS). This fell into repair for a user with standard permissions ; meanwhile found the cause for this and fixed it).

But: when user had this repair situation it failed because Windows Installer tells to have insufficient rights on some file. The reason apparently is that user has Ntfs R-rights on the file; if I change this to RX, repair functions.

I don't find documentation regarding the link between the rights of interactive user and the (auto)repair function, – which is -I tought- supposed to switch to system context given the elevated privileges for original install.

Some ideas ?
(2) Replies
Are you doing things to files with restricted permissions before the msiexec slips into server side operations? Stuff like non-deferred and non-system context custom actions operating on files with restricted permissions, etc.
No - I don't do anything special with the file: put the permissions by directly editing the Lockpermission table, the solution was to change the numbers in that same table & regenate MSI

So, I 've got a workaround for this particular case, it is just that I don't know why user rights influence behaviour of msiexec service - want to learn for the future.