cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universal Transform Template

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have extensive edits to make to each transform but they are all identical. I need to create ONE transform to apply universal settings to EVERY msi I create. However how do I get around the GUID problem or is it possible.

I have extensive edits to make to each transform but they are all identical.
(3) Replies
I just wanted to clarify: a transform is a file in .mst format which is used with a Windows Installer (.msi) package to modify it without actually making changes to the Windows Installer package.

If you are going to be repackaging, that is, creating Windows Installer packages, you can create a Developer template (.ism) to contain all data which is consistent for each package. AdminStudio contains a default template, or you can create your own.

If you have a package (like Office) which you need to customize without actually modifying the Windows Installer package, you need to create a transform (.mst) to accompany the Windows Installer package and apply your changed. In AdminStudio, you would use the Tuner tool to do that.

So, you can do your customizations in advance with a template, or do them afterward either with Developer (edit the Windows Installer package) or with Tuner (modifies the Windows Installer package w/o editing).

Hope this helps,
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Im new to this game, but rather than using an MST you could use command line parameters to set how your MSIs should install. There are a whole heap of properties you can set on the commandline.
Other than that you could write a VBScript to edit object properties in the MST (see help files for object creation details). This could read the GUID from the MSI, apply it to the MST then run the install. Bit long winded if it works, but would be repeatable.
Just as long as your transforms are simple just setting properties on the commandline is probably your best option.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Where do i make the edits for "additional servers" This is a field that i can find in TUNER but if I am to make a "template" i need to know where this field is in the MSI package itself. Maybe I have been to general in my quesitons.

I have about 20 servers that I need to enter as "Additional Servers." These servers are distribution servers for media that are installed through a web interface. The format of the paths that I am entering are \\servername\sharename\appname\version\os\package. The variables for APPNAME, VERSION, and OS will change based on the respective app. I would like to "automate" the entering of this information into the installs as the servers and sharename are static. I am assuming the best way to do this is through the package. Is there anyway to "pickup" the APPNAME,VERSION,and OS from a table or field and insert it into the MSI package.

The second problem that I had which I believe you have resolved is that I can enter in my "Compay Name" etc... into the .tpl and create a standard template that contains all of that information. Do you have any code that works in this scenario? Or anything that could push me in the right direction. This is really important for me as I literally have thousands of apps to do and it would save a great deal of time for my team.

Thanks I know that this is a tuff one. I also really appreciate your timely response and patience. I'm usually tech support not the one providing it so I know how frustrating this can be. I thank you for your time and attention in this matter.

01/28/03

After more research I wanted to add another note to this thread. I am speaking about "source resilency" this is the term I guess i have been looking for. The best I can discern is that there is either a "SOURCELIST" command that allows you to add server paths in case of a distribution server failure or a network outage that causes one of the primary paths to go down so the MSI looks to another source for the MSI package and accompanying files.

If this is indeed the case then at least I am on the right track. However, I cannot find a place to directly add these edits nor can I figure out exactly what the format should be. I need to pull different fields from the data entry fields such as the PRODUCT INFORMATION window specifically PRODUCT NAME, VERSION, and then addtional variables that will point to the correct directory structure.

Here is an example.

%DISTSERVER%\%sharename%\%applicationname%\%version%\OS(2k,XP,.NET)\Package\%applicationname%.msi

In this example the DISTSERVER name the server names and the sharename are known, however, the application names, versions, os etc will be varied. Please help me on this team. I have spent lots of hours trying to figure this out. I am new to this and I am going through a wonderful but tuff learning curve.

Thanks again I hope this makes my question a little more clear. If you could supply me with an example or a step by step I'd be most greatful and would sing your praises 🙂